FORUMS: list search recent posts

It's gonna rain!

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek
It's gonna rain!
on Mar 14, 2006 at 9:16:01 pm

Hey fellow DPs I'm preparing for a scene that involves Rain! But, we have to somehow create it from scratch. I was thinking, wetting the visible part of the set, the actors, and then setting up some type of drip system that would fall only on the actors, and finally in post had some rain with a Particular in After Effects. Shooting day for night. I

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
Re: It's gonna rain!
on Mar 14, 2006 at 9:34:51 pm

Rain towers.

Hire an effects guy.

Don't forget to back light from both sides so the rain will show up.

Good shooting!

Leo

Return to posts index

Blub
by
on Mar 15, 2006 at 12:20:15 am

If you are talking about a do it yourself deal on a low budget, you sir will not be getting much of a wide shot. As I remember, a simple garden hose sprayed into the air will work fine for medium to CUs. YOu might want to create depth by using several hoses, one for the backgournd one for the subject and one for the forground. The forgound hose will be minimal unless you are trying for that "we gotta get out of here" look.

Water is cold and the actors will be punihed by this, this will in turn screw up their performance over time, pay attention to them.

Chris

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Mar 16, 2006 at 2:49:51 am

...and obviously if you have someone spraying water from a hose on a lit set, have someone with experience do the spraying...it's kind of an art in itself.

Ideally they need to start spraying down and close to something so that first "blast" isn't wide enough to hit lighting instruments or other electrical devices, then pull away, carefully watching the outer limits of the pattern and anything wind might be doing to move it if you're outdoors...then ending the spray by reversing the action.

If they have to wear waterproof jackets that need to look wet...spray them before the talent has to put them on...if they need wet clothes, it's not a bad idea to do the same if they have supposedly been in the rain for long. Their clothes will either not get wet in weird places or they will dry in between takes, so a Polaroid or digital camera isn't a bad idea for continuity preservation either.

Also...if the feet of the talent aren't shown, standing them on a grate or something that keeps their feet from being "in" the water is always a nice touch.

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 17, 2006 at 12:47:31 pm

I got "rain" with a donation to a local volunteer fire department.

I like your idea of combining some actual water with some post-produced effects. That works well for "snow."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]