FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo Reel creation advice? (long form)

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrAd S
Demo Reel creation advice? (long form)
on Feb 18, 2006 at 12:38:07 am

Hello all,
Posted this in the Demo Reel forum, but I think it's more focused on critiquing reels, not creating them.
So I'm working on a new demo reel for DVD delivery. My love is shooting, but I produce and edit most of what I shoot now.
My DVD will open with a brief (15 sec.) montage, with an option to skip. Then, a menu will offer 2 different montages, a long form section (most of what I do), a commercial seciton, and an archive section.

The question is, in the long form index, should I create a specific long form demo, or just include segments from the original programs.
For example, a lot of what I've done is already broken into segments or chapters, and I'd like to let the viewer watch a whole section if they desire. But should I take, say 10-20 seconds of the best editing in the secitons I want to feature, and put them all together into a 'long form' montage? Perhaps there could be a "see more" button that takes them to the longer version and then back.
How will potential employeers best like to see long form work?
I guess that's the esential quesiton.

Thanks in advance.

BrAd

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

donatello
Re: Demo Reel creation advice? (long form)
on Feb 20, 2006 at 2:49:58 am

"But should I take, say 10-20 seconds of the best editing in the secitons I want to feature"

are you making a editing reel or a DP reel ??

Return to posts index

BrAd S
on Feb 24, 2006 at 5:25:18 pm

That's a good point. Perhaps two different reels. Or both on one DVD. But 50% of what I've shot, I've also edited, so it seems to me I could feature them together.

BrAd

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

donatello
on Feb 26, 2006 at 2:15:14 am

DP - EDITOR = they are 2 different reels

Return to posts index

BrAd S
on Feb 27, 2006 at 5:24:13 pm

While the 7 words of advice are appreciated (and the 10 before that), they don't really answer the questions I was asking in the first place. I've apparently posted these questions to the wrong forum. I'll try FCP.

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Feb 27, 2006 at 8:12:57 pm

[BrAd S] " I've apparently posted these questions to the wrong forum. I'll try FCP.
"

A better place to ask your question would probably be our Art and Craft of Editing forum

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_view_posts.cgi?forumid=27

or search that forum. There have been many discussions on this topic.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]