Miami Vice

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis
Miami Vice
on Feb 15, 2006 at 9:19:34 pm

Hey everyone, I just saw the trailer for the new Miami Vice

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/miamivice/

Would anyone happen to know how they achieved that look? It looks similar to Collatoral. There is something about it that really jumps out, I just don't know what it is, lol.
Is it maybe video?
Thanks,
Louis

Return to posts index

Blub
Re: Miami Vice
by
on Feb 15, 2006 at 10:24:16 pm

Collatoral was shot on video with the same director, I would guess this FILM was shot on video, the look has a video quality about it. As good as a vericam and CineAlta look there is still a video quality about them. As far as the color and other issues, I have seen this look many many many times. Can you say green... the grit and contrast seems to always be married to green. Fight Club, 7, Matrix etc.

Chris

Return to posts index

donatello
on Feb 16, 2006 at 1:05:25 am

is shooting with the cinealta & viper (used in collateral) considered VIDEO ??

Return to posts index

louis
on Feb 16, 2006 at 3:20:58 am

Ah, that explains it lol. Do you guys enjoy the look? I can't say I would like this for say a comedy or drama but for action I really enjoy it. It seems to be "raw" I guess is how I would describe it, it makes me feel a little closer to it also. I've noticed the color scheme lol, it seems green for action, grey for drama/horror and saturated colors for comedy. Those have been my latest observations at least.
Louis

Collatoral was shot on video with the same director, I would guess this FILM was shot on video, the look has a video quality about it. As good as a vericam and CineAlta look there is still a video quality about them. As far as the color and other issues, I have seen this look many many many times. Can you say green... the grit and contrast seems to always be married to green. Fight Club, 7, Matrix etc.

Chris

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Feb 17, 2006 at 1:31:35 am

I beleive Miami vice used both film and the Genesis from panavision. The Hd stuff would have been shot at night. Film During the day.
I could be wrong but I beleive that was workflow.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
Cinematography Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Louis
on Feb 17, 2006 at 2:39:15 am

Ah, that's great to know. It really had me wondering, lol. I can't wait to see how it feels as a whole.

Louis

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Feb 17, 2006 at 7:03:09 am

Plus Eight Digital supplied Viper Camera's and SRW 1 vtr's (HDCAM SR) along with Sony F900's for the shoot.
The movie shot in 4:4:4 RGB mode which is processed not filmstream raw data.

35mm Film cameras were also used for portions of the movie.

The soon to be released Superman movie used Panavision's Genesis.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Louis
on Feb 17, 2006 at 2:54:15 pm

Wow, lol, you guys are amazing.

Louis

Return to posts index

BrAd S
on Feb 18, 2006 at 12:46:09 am

There were some great article in Milimeter (i think) about the production workflow of Collateral. Video offered them better images in low light than film would, I read. Production was generally faster too becuase existing/natural lights were used more often.
Second hand knowlege I know, but Milimeter (and others) might have articles archived.

my two to three cents.

BrAd

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

Blub
by
on Feb 18, 2006 at 3:05:30 am

I think any Kodak or Fuji film with an ASA of 500 pushed one stop and shot with fast primes would blow away any video camera with respect to noise, image quality and speed (exposure). Thirty years ago the European DPs were showing us all how they could shoot with natural light and get great results. Nester Alamendros and others shooting American films 20 years ago did the same in the US.

If you are a producer or DP of a "film" shot on video would it not be in your interest to say everything and anything that states that you did the right thing shooting in video for all the right reasons and results? Look at it the other way, do you ever expect a producer or DP to say, gees we screwed up on this one, shot it in video, boy was that a mistake.

I don

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Feb 18, 2006 at 5:12:57 am

Just because the trade mags post the hype does not mean any of it is true or factual.

I attended in person a meeting where Michael Mann spoke about his experiences with Collateral and it was quite a different story than the Millmeter article mentioned.

Regardless of what equipment is used the most important piece of "equipment" will always be the crew behind the gear.

People not equipment make the images memorable.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Feb 18, 2006 at 6:51:28 pm

I just don't understand why they wold shoot video at night? As I also noticed in collateral also, the images are very grainy. It's not like they got the best quality of images by using video. I mean, a lot of movies are shot at night (film), and look a lot less grainy and a lot more sharp than that. So, why video at night? (Unless michael mann likes the grainy look)?

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 25, 2006 at 7:12:12 am

Mann liked the digital night stuff better because the latitude and quality - they actually rendered the final output at 1k to dirty up the image - so the grain in the release was put there intentionally.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California
Cow Forum Host- Magic Bullet

Apple Dual 2Ghz G5 ATIx800, 2.5GB RAM, OSX Tiger FCP Studio
Intel P4, 2GB RAM, PNY 6600GT XP Pro - Vegas 6 Studio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]