FORUMS: list search recent posts

8mm

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TimPoths
8mm
on Feb 14, 2006 at 4:28:11 pm

Hi,

I have recently got an 8mm projector and have seen that the cameras and sotck film can be hard to get hold of.

So i was wondering, can a modern 8mm camera tape be 'dissected' and the film be mounted on a spool and played on an 8mm projector?

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: 8mm
on Feb 14, 2006 at 11:11:45 pm

First, take the magnetic film out of the 8mm cassette and hold a strip up to the light - if you don't see anything, it won't work.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Feb 15, 2006 at 1:26:59 am

What do you mean hard to get a hold of? Are they too small for your hands? Not surewhat you mean. But I just shot a short film on super 8mm and had no problem getting camera and film. google 8mm.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
Cinematography Forum Leader

Return to posts index

TimPoths
on Feb 15, 2006 at 2:58:12 pm

Wow, good response!

Thinking about it, newer 8mm cameras work magnetically (?) so they may not work.

As to the film, i have found a few 8mm camera on ebay but my google searches lead me to american sites,, and i prefere shorter postage for delecate items.

But, i'll try google again - all i got last time was a bunch of cine-dvd services :(

Return to posts index

donatello
on Feb 15, 2006 at 4:53:11 pm

are you referring to 8mm FILM ( as in real FILM stock not as in you film something ) or you referring to digital 8 camera's that use video tape ??

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Feb 19, 2006 at 12:15:21 am

Yes indeed this is possible.

Sony and Kodak have keep this quasi film/tape hybrid a major secret for over ten years now.

But to keep it simple just take some old 8mm film and jam it inside any standard vhs deck for a quick playback check. No need for a telecine xfer and the cost savings are wonderful.

What the heck wuz you thinkin????

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

TimPoths
on Mar 1, 2006 at 1:19:48 pm

hmm, i was just wanting to try 8mm out for propper retro effect.

just a little fun, and good for larping

(didn't this id get this much flack!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]