FORUMS: list search recent posts

camera angles

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thewanggao
camera angles
on Feb 9, 2006 at 8:23:42 pm

I'm not sure if this a cinematography question, but if you could help anyway, that'd be great.

I am about to shoot a film, and I want it to look very professional and polished. How should I go about shooting people? From low angles, straight on, or none of the above? I realize this is a bit vague, but I guess I'm trying to ask what will give me the most pro looking image.

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

paul77
Re: camera angles
on Feb 9, 2006 at 10:13:42 pm

At least use a tripod. Go for a shallow depth of field when possible. Think about how your angle complements what's happening in the scene. That covers less than 1%. Good luck

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Feb 9, 2006 at 11:54:39 pm

ok. I am using a tripod for most of it, but what about the low angles? Would you suggest them?

Alexander Gao

Return to posts index

Blub
by
on Feb 10, 2006 at 1:35:40 am

Is this narrative, interviews inside outside day night etc? For outside, day, low angles a polarizer filter might be nice...

If its narrative try to shoot matching close ups, in other words for a given scene if you shoot one person in close up at 60mm on the lens, shoot the other peoples close up at 60mm on the lens.

These days looking like a professional is relative, I don

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 10, 2006 at 1:49:59 am

Buy the book "The Five Cs of Cinematography" by Joseph V. Mascelli ($30 retail). Read it with a friend while you have your camera in hand. This is the single most valuable tool there is for learning camera techniques. When to be low, when to be high, cinematic time and space. I have all of my students buy and read this book before starting classes.

Use a tripod only when necessary. Always use a jib or a dolly. They're available cheap.

For some on-set shots of our gear at work, go to http://www.cut-scene.com and http://www.birdproductionsinc.com

Well, have you ordered the book yet? What are you waiting for? It's the best $30 you'll ever spend.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Feb 10, 2006 at 3:21:05 am

Thanks for the great tip. I'll pick that book up tomorrow at Barnes & Noble if they have it. Just wondering, Mr. Wargo, is that a cinealta camera?

Alexander Gao

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 10, 2006 at 7:58:07 am

Sony F-900 CineAlta

My name is Steve. My grandfather is Mr. Wargo

Enjoy the book.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!