FORUMS: list search recent posts

daylight 16mm film stock - load

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vlady7
daylight 16mm film stock - load
on Feb 9, 2006 at 4:19:55 am

Hello,

I've just bought colour negative 16mm Kodak film, one side perforated, 100f sealed in Kodak box. But there is info that it should be loaded in total darkness. Can I use special bag to put the film into my Bolex? Can I use splicer to add black leader? However, some film stock is packed in a way that you can load in daylight - what is the difference? I would be grateful for explanation.

best regards
vlady

Return to posts index

Blub
Re: daylight 16mm film stock - load
by
on Feb 9, 2006 at 5:31:13 am

I have never heard of a 100 foot load not coming on a metal reel which allows for daylight loading. I guess you could turn the lights off at night, cover your hands and the box with something and open the box and feel if there is a metal reel with this film.

What you are talking about is called a changing bag.

I would NEVER put a splice through a camera, there are real chances that the glue or tape that you use to splice will rub off on the gate and smear the film or break or the leader might not even fit the camera. Camera original film and print film including leader are of different dimensions especially the sprocket dimensions. This could lead to mechanical issues.

Chris

Return to posts index

Vlady7
on Feb 9, 2006 at 2:06:42 pm

Many thanks!

vlady

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Feb 10, 2006 at 2:32:49 pm

Yeah daylight loads,hmmm, I was known as eyemo boy in my early days as a camera assistant. I was fast at changing the 100ft daylight loads in eyemo cameras for stunt work.
Just keep the roll as tight as you can when loading, avoid direct sunlight, maybe a bit of black over you and the camera if in desert or other bright areas.
Make sure your hands are dry, not sweaty, and roll off a couple of seconds before. You should be ok. don't ever add leader though. They do that in processing.
Good luck.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
Cinematography Forum Leader

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Feb 10, 2006 at 2:33:48 pm

Yeah daylight loads,hmmm, I was known as eyemo boy in my early days as a camera assistant. I was fast at changing the 100ft daylight loads in eyemo cameras for stunt work.
Just keep the roll as tight as you can when loading, avoid direct sunlight, maybe a bit of black over you and the camera if in desert or other bright areas.
Make sure your hands are dry, not sweaty, and roll off a couple of seconds before. You should be ok. don't ever add leader though. They do that in processing.
Good luck.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Feb 10, 2006 at 2:40:28 pm

Good luck.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
Re: sorry for multiple posts
on Feb 10, 2006 at 2:44:58 pm

the bag said decaf...

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films