60i 50i 24p aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ewan
60i 50i 24p aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
by
on Feb 4, 2006 at 10:55:47 pm

Hi everyone,
Please go easy on me, but, I know my little comsumer video camera films at 50i (PAL)and when I edit I have to de-interlace (or is it interlace? can never remember) anyhow I'm looking at buying an XL1s, now I know that films at 50i and also 24p. The question being what benifits do filming in 50i or 24p bring and what difference does it making in editing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ewan

Return to posts index

SydneyS
Re: 60i 50i 24p aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
on Feb 7, 2006 at 5:02:07 pm

First off, what is your destination for your project? Are you upconverting to film? (Then yes, the 24p conversion is an integral part of the process) Or, do you simply plan to out put it to DVD? This should be the only factor as far as changing frame rates/interlacing. If the camera shoots 50i and the DVD plays back the same where you live, you shouldn't be converting anything... Leaving it unchanged will bring you the least headache... Some folks think the 24p "Film Look" is cool because this is the frame rate that film uses, but a lot of folks like myself feel it's a waste of time to do this... Mainly, it was shot on a DV camera, no one will make the mistake thinking it was shot with a 35mm film camera... Let the subject matter speak for itself.... Just my opinion... If you like the 24p look, nothing wrong with that, and if the camera/editing software do this natively, then happy editing!

Return to posts index

ewan
by
on Feb 8, 2006 at 11:48:00 am

Thanks mate, at last a straight forward answer without getting all technical. As all my stuff is to DVD then I suppose there is no need for 24p, and I can stop torturing myself and quit reading about it.

Thanks again

Ewan

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
However...
on Feb 11, 2006 at 11:56:58 am

The XL1s does NOT shoot at 24P anyway. It has a "frame" mode but that's it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Jamie
on Feb 24, 2006 at 1:50:54 am

dont overlook 24P ! I have had people ask if the footage was shot on 35mm film. It gives you a look that is very similar to how a film camera behaves. In my opinion, that is an invaluable setting and look.

keep researching.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]