FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lens options

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt short
Lens options
on Jan 28, 2006 at 2:19:48 pm

Can someone tell me what are the advantages of renting individual lenses over one zoom lens? I'm preparing to shoot my first indie. I'm shooting video but I'm planning on renting a Pro35.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Lens options
on Jan 28, 2006 at 6:36:33 pm

Might help us if you were tell us which camera you plan on using.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Blub
by
on Jan 28, 2006 at 6:39:50 pm

There are many compromises with a zoom lens.

The advantages of a GOOD prime lens are thus
Typically faster as in lets more light in, a zoom might be f4 or 3.5 a prime might be f1.4
Much sharper, much much sharper this is the greatest advantage. The sharpness is such that things in the plane of focus are not only sharper with a prime but things in front of and behind the plane of focus have a quality that seems to accentuate the plane that is in focus, its as if there is much more detail to the out of focus planes.
Smaller and lighter
Smaller filters and matte box, depending selection

With that said, even big budget feature films with well known DPs slap on a zoom and shoot. This happens for various reasons more often its a speed issue. I would also say laziness but that would get me in trouble.

Strange as it may sound even top of the top DPs take jobs on films they don

Return to posts index

matt short
on Jan 29, 2006 at 12:21:42 pm

Thanks for the info, Chris. I'm shooting BetaSP with a Pro35 adapter so, I'll spend the extra to get a set of primes. There's going to be alot of compositing in this project so, I'll need the best image I can get.

Return to posts index

jehf85
on Jan 30, 2006 at 8:02:06 am

Another advantage of using a prime is that it doesn't "zoom" when doing focus work. If you do a long focus pull on a zoom, you will notice it does a bit of zooming as well.

That being said, I have seen a lot of good use of zoom lenses to achieve a certain effect, especially in caotic shots (battles, accidents, fights, etc).

Other than that, Chris has got it covered.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 30, 2006 at 2:25:32 am

Why in the world would you shoot an indie feature on BetaSP? There are so many better options that have the ability to shoot 24 frame footage.

We shot a feature on 29.97 DVCAM and it was a lot of work to film-look every frame to make it seem like it was shot on film.

Not to bash BetaSP as it was our production format for more than a decade but it is not the format for a feature. If I were you, I'd get my hands on an Pro34 and a prime lens for a few hours and do some tests on some interiors and exteriors and process them in post to see what you end up with.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Blub
by
on Jan 30, 2006 at 5:57:27 am

I am a film /prime lens kind of guy but I do read the newspaper.

Brothers McMullen was shot with BetaSP and A ZOOM LENS!, made a ton, make that 40 tons of money after the tape to film transfer.

I like the tech stuff and understand the overwhelming desire to perfect things on the technical side, I also understand how content can make the technical stuff meaningless.

Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 30, 2006 at 6:31:54 am

[Blub] "I also understand how content can make the technical stuff meaningless"

Your content better be overwhelming

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

matt short
on Jan 30, 2006 at 10:24:25 am

[Steve Wargo] "Why in the world would you shoot an indie feature on BetaSP?"
Thats what I own. I have a small production company and I shoot and edit BetaSP everyday. Making it look like film is not that big of a deal, I've been doing it for quite awhile. I'm going to take my camera to the rental house and do some tests with the Pro35. I might even rent it and a couple of lenses for the weekend and do some tests in the field.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]