FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming rock concerts with Sony Z1, hints or tips?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve
Filming rock concerts with Sony Z1, hints or tips?
on Jan 24, 2006 at 1:30:25 pm

Hi there folks!

I have just got a job in to film 5 rock concerts, starting tomorrow night! The client is a national radio station.
The footage is for branding material and will be cut with brand logos and animations etc.
The client wants artistic / iconic shots of live music, musicians, instruments, etc etc. They dont want a typical recording of the performance.

No sync audio is required.

I will be down-converting to sd for the edit and delivering on dvd

All good so far, I have shot many concerts all in SD, however, they are wanting it shot in HDV for future proofing and image quality.

I have a sony Z1 booked and being picked up 4 hours before the first gig tomorrow night.

I have not used one before! arghhh! so i have just downloaded the instruction manual for intense study tonight.

Have been following the whole hdv scene for some time now and have a reasonable grip on whats going on.

However.....

I am wondering if anyone could be kind enough to give me some technical guidance for using the Z1 in gig/concert environments?

Is there any specific settings to observe or any important factors to consider? (lighting conditions being low light and high contrast/satuarated light etc.)

Also,

What is the best tape to use? Sony hdv tapes?

Can I connect the Z1 to the sony dsr-11 through firewire and make minidv copies with timecode of the original hdv tapes?

Luckily there are support acts playing before the headline acts, A small warm up window!

Thanks for reading and many thanks in advance for any help and input received.

best regards

steve

Return to posts index

tony salgado
Re: Filming rock concerts with Sony Z1, hints or tips?
on Jan 26, 2006 at 7:58:54 pm

I only have one tip to recommend.

Any piece of equipment that you have not used before you should familarize yourself well in advance of the shoot, edit or other.

Reading the manual is no substitute for a hands on operational checkout.

You can't afford to be guessing what menu does what during the "heat" of the shoot.

If you are renting the camera from a rental house they will usually allow clients to come in and prep the gear either the day before the shoot or day of.

This is your chance to ask any necessary operational or technical questions.

Good luck,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]