FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow motion

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Slow motion
on Jan 20, 2006 at 7:19:10 pm

I need to shoot some antique toys in slow motion, perhaps as slow as one-fifth real speed = 120-150 fps, for display in a museum kiosk.

What do you think would be the most cost-effective way to get this shot? I'm thinking about using an Arri 35-3, which would take up to 120 fps, but if there's a cheaper way to go, I'd be very appreciative of the tip.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Slow motion
on Jan 20, 2006 at 9:01:57 pm

Isn't 16 cheaper?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 21, 2006 at 12:33:54 am

I'm open to 16mm. I can find a local 35mm camera that will crank to 120 fps, but not for 16mm.

The delivery format will be a computer monitor, so I won't be limited to NTSC and the 35mm would not be wasted.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Photosonics?
on Jan 22, 2006 at 5:02:59 pm

I just discovered the Photosonics website. A familiar name, but I've never even seen one of their cameras.

They have a number of different cameras, with different fps, reflex vs. boresight, film capacity (the 100' camera uses daylight spools, which would probably be a plus, although 100' doesn't last very long at 150 fps!).

Again, I'm shooting antique toys in slow motion, approx. 120-150 fps, so the boresight would be okay!

Anybody with experience? I'd love to hear comments as to which of their 16mm cameras would be best for this job.

Thanks!

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jan 22, 2006 at 6:46:00 pm

When you say you need to shoot some antique toys in slow motion, I guess my questions would be...
How fast are these toys moving, and for how long?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 23, 2006 at 2:42:26 am

I haven't seen them yet, but they are described as mechanical toy banks which are stationary, but have parts that move extremely fast -- faster than the eye can really see, which is the point of the slow-mo.

I take your point, and it is an excellent one. I probably need to shoot a test with a normal-speed camera, and run it through After Effect's Time Stretch feature at various settings, to see just how fast things are moving. Even after I do that, I'll shoot at various frame rates just to make sure I've got it -- but the frame rates will at least be in the right range.

Thanks.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 13, 2006 at 7:09:33 pm

Try different shutter speeds also. We shoot a lot of golf and usually shoot at 1000 shutter speed and let the software fill in the blanks. If we shoot at 60 Hz, we get nothing but blur, if that.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Jamie
on Feb 24, 2006 at 1:55:11 am

there are some digital high speed cameras out there as well. I looked into shooting an explosion with one of these a while back. they shoot very high speeds.

http://www.visiblesolutions.com/

http://www.photosonics.com/DCR655.htm

here are two links for digital imagers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]