FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HVR-Z1U: can you turn of all AE functions?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Baldwin
Sony HVR-Z1U: can you turn of all AE functions?
on Dec 10, 2005 at 12:55:49 pm

Anyone with experience with Sony HDV Cameras please let me know what I'm missing. I'm trying to use a Z1U and cannot believe that Sony won't let me set the exposure and lock it. No matter what the setting, it still wants to adjust the exposure. Am I missing something? Even when I use AE Shift and AE Override, it still maintains a degree of compensation... it's driving me crazy. The PD-150s and 170s do the same thing which is why I avoid them at all costs, but I assumed the Z1U would be different. I just want to be able to manually adjust the iris and know the camera isn't going to try to out think me.

I'm still holding out hope that I'm just missing a seldom known setting that will turn of all AE functions for good. Is there such a thing, and if so how?

thanks,
db

Return to posts index

Adlan Estemir
Re: Sony HVR-Z1U: can you turn of all AE functions?
on Dec 10, 2005 at 3:19:23 pm

On the left hand side, there is a button(IRIS) to switch AE off and on. Relax.

Return to posts index

Dave Baldwin
on Dec 10, 2005 at 5:15:31 pm

Ah, yeah - I know how to use the iris. Apparently, per responses on other forums, it's the shutter that's been wreaking havoc. Even with the iris and gain on manual, the shutter apparently, by default is on

Return to posts index

jehf85
on Dec 30, 2005 at 5:21:37 am

Yep, gotta trigger all the settings that affect exposure in some way. Same with PD150 and 170. You would think that when you switch the camera from "auto" to "manual", it would actually be in manual mode, but as you can see it isn't. You still have to find each specific setting you would like to control, and switch it from auto to manual by selecting it. Usually it's no problem, but when you have three different ways of adjusting exposure, it's easy to forget one of them. At least with PD150 and 170 it remembers which settings you like to control, don't know about the HDV though.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 4, 2006 at 4:15:05 am

The problem with the Z1 is that it seems to forget you wanted everything in manual and occasionally you'll adjust something and it's suddenly back to being "helpful"...it happened to me as well.

Very annoying...I still like the little camera though.

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]