FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Shutter and lattitude

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
G McMahon
Video Shutter and lattitude
on Aug 29, 2005 at 5:26:51 am

Old question that always turns me in side out.

Does a video electronic shutter work the same way as a cine film shutter angle? And if you are shooting in progressive mode should the shutter be on or off or indifferent?

Also, is there a correlation between contrast and latitude? If you were to shoot on a stock with 11 stops latitude and in post increased the contrast, are you losing the stops at either end or is the curve just being altered? Why I ask this is if you are exposing and there is detail you like to see which may be 3 stops under, how do you know where to safely leave it there if in post with your one light the contrast levels you have set may push that towards black?

Hope I have explained that adequately.

Thank you,
Graeme McMahon

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
Re: Video Shutter and lattitude
on Aug 29, 2005 at 4:27:17 pm

In most cases, video shutters work differently than motion picture camera shutters; film cameras typically use spinning mirrors which may or may not be adjustable in angle to a certain degree. Some high-end HD cameras also can use a spinning mirror, but most are simply electronic switches that control the duration of exposure which is the equivalent to a mechanical shutter angle.

There may be an extraordinarily small difference in the effect of an electronic shutter and a spinning mirror shutter because the spinning mirror exposes different parts of the frame earlier or later depending on where the spinning mirror clips the frame. This might be detectable shooting past vertical lines with a moving camera.

Naturally, a film camera cannot operate with no shutter because of the time required to transport the film from frame to frame. Video cameras can operate with the shutter at any "angle" including "off."

Of course you should use the electronic shutter if you wish to achieve the film look; typically 24 fps with a 180

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]