FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoot insurance

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Carson
Shoot insurance
on Jul 20, 2005 at 10:49:24 pm

We need a fair and reliable way to provide our camera, and lighting and grip rental houses with certificates of insurance. We do not generally need this coverage for more than 2-3 days at a time and maybe 30 days a year total. We're a small house shooting/posting spots and corporate video, working on smaller budgets usually no more than $40k.

Ideas?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
Re: Shoot insurance
on Jul 21, 2005 at 1:40:46 am

Approx. what's the maximum list price dollar value of the equipment you rent at any one time?

Are you individual freelancers (setting your own schedules) or employees working for a "video production company"?

For example, as an individual freelancer who owns/rents up to a max. of $40K worth of gear at one time, it costs me $1,300 total per year to be insured (including an annual WEVA membership and an inexpensive "central" alarm system required by the policy.) The policy covers up to $1M liability and other items (fire, theft, etc.). The agency is William Buell in Ill. and the policy is underwritten by St. Paul/Travelers. In other words, to qualify for this particular policy you have to be a WEVA member and have an alarm. Info on this member benefit is on the WEVA.com website.

SPT issues "co-insured" certificates to rental houses as needed (I don't remember this costing much if anything).

Of course there might be better deals out there; I haven't researched this in a while. Also my understanding is that insurance costs much more for "production companies" which have employees.

I believe there is insurance available which you can purchase as needed for a few days at a time. However I don't know if that is economical if you need coverage for 60-90 days per year. You might find a previous thread on the subject if you search the archives here.

All the best,

- Peter

Just a friendly reminder to all: Please consider filling-in your COW user profile information so we have a better idea who you are, where you're from, and so forth. It's the friendly thing to do. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Jul 21, 2005 at 1:52:46 am

Hello again, Jeff. I realised after re-reading your message you said 2-3 days at a time with a _total_ of about 30 days per year, not 2-3 days 30 _times_ per year. Sorry about that.

So short-term, pay as you need it insurance might make sense for you. The following thread from the archives might be helpful:
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=54&postid=4...

All the best,

- Peter

Return to posts index

Jeff Carson
on Jul 21, 2005 at 10:35:36 pm

Thanks everyone. I am talking about only the rider and certificates I need when on location using rented 16, 35 and HD gear, plus all the lighting and grip. The "Loss Payee" and "Additional Insured" stuff. We have our own insuraqnce for the gear we own, but those policies do not cover rented gear. the http://www.gearinsurance.com people look like a good fit.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 30, 2005 at 1:47:31 am

Jeff,

If you already have insurance on your own gear, it's a simple matter to add a rental equipment floater. I carry a $100000 add'l rental insurance and pay about 1% or $1000 per year. If you rent thirty days a year that only a bout $33 per day, very reasonable!

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]