FORUMS: list search recent posts

Production monitor options

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mccaincow
Production monitor options
on Jun 23, 2005 at 12:59:14 am

I am interested in getting a production monitor for field production. I need the monitor for critical focus and color viewing. However I am worried about investing in an SD production monitor, as I will be making an HD camera purchase later in the year. Has anyone here used something like the Dell 24" 2405FPW, 2005FPW, or Apple cinema display? Does anyone know if these monitors have inputs that can display true 24 frames progressive image coming out of cameras like the HVX200, Fx1 etc. ? Any other options I should consider? Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

mitch gross
Re: Production monitor options
on Jun 30, 2005 at 3:09:29 am

The monitor won't care about the frame rate, and I believe the connectors will be compatible as most of these type monitors are designed to accept both computer and video type signals via RGB, USB and others. But you should be prepared for a monitor that is likely not completely accurate for lighting (as compared to a proper field monitor) and one that will likely NOT have the exact same resolution as your camera signal. This means pixel mapping and interpolation, which could defeat your critical focus plans. Sure it's better than using an SD monitor, but it may not be 100% accurate. Also realize that these screens are very heavy and designed to sit in a room, not bounce around in the field. Have a very, very well-padded and sturdy case for it but be prepared for it to fail after a few years.

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]