FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting from a boat - stabilizing?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob
Shooting from a boat - stabilizing?
by
on Jun 21, 2005 at 2:36:31 pm

I might need to do a day's shoot on a boat & looking for suggestions/options for stablization (or perhaps not). It'll be a DV shoot, so my Steadicam JR might do the trick, but I haven't tried it on the water yet. Of course the boat will be either motoring very slowly or not at all (since wind kills the JR). Any experiences to share?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Shooting from a boat - stabilizing?
on Jun 21, 2005 at 4:52:02 pm

There's a whole long list, and it boils down to conditions, size of boat, your location in the boat, and practically speaking, the availability of equipment wherever you are.

The Kenyon gyro-stabilizer is good for hand-holding in moderate conditions, but panning can be a problem as it needs time to stabilize the move, and it doesn't end a pan smoothly because it wants you to keep panning. Like holding a big bowl of jello.

-- BC

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Shooting from a boat - stabilizing?
on Jul 15, 2005 at 8:17:04 pm

Another option is a "gimbal head" which mounts on a tripod and compensates for the pitch and yaw inherent in boat movement. Such an item can usually be rented from old-line Hollywood rentals sources like Birns & Sawyer or Alan Gordon Enterprises.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]