FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help deciding on a 2/3" lens for the Sony DSR450

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Baldwin
Need help deciding on a 2/3" lens for the Sony DSR450
on Jun 10, 2005 at 11:13:25 pm

Hello

I'm pretty sure I'm going to serve my clients and purchase a Sony DSR450 and work it hard for as long as I can.

BUT,

Now I'm trying to figure out the lens. I don't know which forum to post in for this question, but everyone seemed full of info and opinions so I thought I'd give this group a shot.

Primarily it needs to be an all purpose lens for high end long lens interviews and news and corporate broll.

I'll rent a wide angel when I need it but sometime interviews are in small rooms and something versatile would be helpful.

I'll be using this with the 450 so I need 16:9 and 4:3 but my first question is do I need to spend the money on a ratio converting lens?

We often shoot broll of city and long lens content, so a doubler is a feature I've come to appreciate.

I've read about some lenses that have programmable focus pull marks for racking or zooming shots. Sure would be nice to have as an option. Does anyone know what I'm referring to and have any experience with one?

So I'm used to renting the Fujinon broadcast 14X8.5 Lens which I use with the DSR500.

They don't make it anymore exactly. I've been suggested to go with a $3200 Fujinon A20x8.6BRM Professional SD ENG Lens. And believe me its not that I want to spend a whole lot of cash but the broadcast SD lenses are going for $25k. I know its all about the glass but what is the difference between these types of lenses. How is one supposed to decide between these obviously different classes of equipment? I'd like this camera package to be rentable as well as to serve my SD DVCAM needs, so should I invest in a more expensive lens just for the marketability of it? Or will these lenses give me the same results?

Can people add their two cents here and suggest the best $3k and $25k lens for the DSR450?

Thanks!!

Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin
Shoulder High Productions
Media of the World; For the World!
http://www.shoulderhigh.com
newsletters@shoulderhigh.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Need help deciding on a 2/3" lens for the Sony DSR450
on Jun 18, 2005 at 7:12:32 pm

Your glass is the most important accessory (?) you'll ever buy. Pay about $10K and get a 22x7.8 with an extender and round up a good wide angle adapter.

My favorite lens is a 11x4.7 with ext. and I can shoot in a 10 x 10 room.

If you shoot sports, the long lens is a must. If you shoot intimate corporate stuff, go with a wider, shorter choice.

I bought a 14 x 8.5 Canon internal focus when they first came out around 1994. It cost me $10K and I still use it to this day on my DSR-500 and it still works great.

There are a lot of great B-Stock and slightly used deals out there.

Steve Wargo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]