FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting video to be slomo'd in post

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristen Maxwell
Shooting video to be slomo'd in post
on Jun 1, 2005 at 8:26:26 pm

howdy,

i am working with another student on a shot that will be slowed in post. We're shooting on the Varicam (unfortunately we don't have the slomo converter box! doh!).

We're wondering what the best settings are for shoting footage to later be slowed. I've heard that shooting 30i (60 fields / sec) is best, because it gives you the most temporal resolution ... is this correct? also, would it be better to use a faster shutter speed as well in order to reduce motion blur and give the impression of more discreet images?

thanks for the help,

kris

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
Re: Shooting video to be slomo'd in post
on Jun 1, 2005 at 8:57:29 pm

First of all, the VariCam does not shoot interlaced.

If you wish to shoot slow motion, you can shoot at whatever frame-rate you choose for the effect you wish. For the maximum effect, shoot at 60 fps; for a subtle effect, try 30 to 36 fps. In a 24 fps time-line, shooting at 48 fps will, of course, double the length of time an action takes.

If you're editing with FCP, you don't need additional gear; FCP will take care of dropping redundant frames.

The VariCam is a highly complex piece of equipment; I really advise you to bring on an experienced VariCam shooter or assistant.

Good shooting!

Leo
Director/Cinematographer
Southeast USA

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
on Jun 1, 2005 at 9:05:17 pm

On your shutter speed question, please consider using slower, not faster exposure durations. A very short exposure duration can make your action strobe; not what is usually desired with a smooth slow motion effect.

For the most filmic effect, use a 180

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jun 1, 2005 at 10:43:22 pm

Kris,

Leo hit it right on the nail. Technology without an experienced operators is disfunctional. Spend alot of time getting familar with the Varicam prior to the shoot so you will not be disappointed or waste alot of time on set learning the gear.

For high speed stuff shoot at 60P and consider using a shutter of 1/500 or above.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
on Jun 1, 2005 at 11:22:26 pm

Just so you'll know that Tony and I don't have opposite views on the shutter issue, I quite agree that you should try a fast shutter for things like a lemon squeeze or water skiing with droplets hanging in the air; they look good with a short exposure.

I like a longer exposure for things like romantic scenes such as a woman's hair gently floating.

Test first, choose what suits you.

Good shooting!

Leo
Director/Cinematographer
Southeast USA

Return to posts index

Kristen Maxwell
on Jun 2, 2005 at 2:43:53 am

Awesome, thanks for all the useful tips. I am actually the AD on this shoot, but we have some people with more time on the Varicam on our camera crew, so I hope they will bring some of the expertise you recommend to the shoot.

Just for clarification, though - does the Varicam shoot 48P / 60P without the external box? Is that only needed for playback? As this is an all-student production, I will be budgeting more time for this shot so we can experiment a bit!

thanks again,

kris

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
on Jun 2, 2005 at 3:02:16 am

No external gear is required to select any frame-rate from 1 to 60 fps in one-frame increments. Actually, the standard range is 4 to 60 fps, but you can extend the range to include 1, 2, and 3 fps by entering a hidden menu.

Good shooting!
Leo
Director/Cinematographer
Southeast USA

Return to posts index

Jeff Carson
on Jun 4, 2005 at 8:50:55 pm

You will not see the slomo in camera or even on the playback of the 1200A deck. The easiest way to play back the slomo is to actually capture from the 1200A (firewire) using DVCPro-HD 24p and then download and use the Frame Converter tool which (after installation) appears under TOOLS menu. This renders and imports into FCP a new clip (w/o time code) that will play your beautiful slomo at full quality off internal SATA or FW drive. Use a cinema display for monitoring. We shot 60fps and Pro35 with primes and it is silky smooth slomo footage

For more details: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/dvcpro_hd_workflow_balis.html

Have fun!

Return to posts index

Kristen Maxwell
on Jun 5, 2005 at 4:38:22 pm

excellent information, thanks for sharing. I have passed this along to our camera and editorial crew!

kris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]