FORUMS: list search recent posts

60 Minutes interview lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
60 Minutes interview lighting
on Dec 6, 2017 at 11:52:32 pm

Here are four production stills of the Stahl-Trump November 2016 interview, from CBS 60 Minutes. The two large keylights appear to be custom designed; how do you think they were put together and rigged? I suspect they were fairly light weight for their size.

And, for all the apparent symmetry, Stahl's single looks a bit softer than Trump's. How did they achieve that? Do you think it is lighting or camera set-up?

Thanks!

Bob C

One irrelevant-to-my-question detail I enjoyed noticing: the little booties on the crews' feet.

Return to posts index

Erik Anschicks
Re: 60 Minutes interview lighting
on Dec 21, 2017 at 3:26:25 am

Not totally sure since they look to have a homemade corplast box built around them, but my guess is they are probably something like a litemat or one of the longer flex light units from Westcott or Aladdin. All of them weigh next to nothing, relatively speaking, so you can get one practically anywhere you need to with minimal rigging efforts.

I'm not sure Stahl is "softer" in the sense that her key is a softer light, but rather it looks a bit more frontal and lower, judging by Trump's slight nose shadow and her lack of one. It also appears that there's more fill for her as well. In the top picture there's a unit boomed in with a blue gel on it which looks to be pointed right at the left side of her face, and she does seem to have the slightest touch of a blue cast on that side in the pic of her CU shot. So my best guess is that it's a lighting method rather than camera setup.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]