FORUMS: list search recent posts

security cable

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
security cable
on Aug 24, 2016 at 4:41:53 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Aug 24, 2016 at 4:44:51 pm

I need to hang a space light and the only mounting point I see is a vertical support supporting an HVAC duck. Can I put a security cable through the support beam and hang the light from this? I assume if these are strong enough to catch the light if it were to fall it should be fine for permanent support loop but wanted to check here.

The horizontal bar is not a grid but holds electrical cable, not suppose to hang lights from that but it would support a space light but would prefer the security cable though vertical support.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: security cable
on Aug 24, 2016 at 8:11:46 pm

You should be able to rig some sort of clamp - which you would want as your primary anchor.

And yes, a security cable. If you fly it, tie it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 24, 2016 at 9:02:46 pm

I get that but can I use a security cable as the mount. The space light has chains that end in a heavy metal circle which the security cable can loop through.

pretty sure i can loop the security cable through the vertical support holes. would this be safe?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Aug 24, 2016 at 10:55:34 pm

Yes, though a Mafer or Cardellini would mean less potential movement by the instrument. (Think convection.)

Just as a point of personal preference I like things locked down if possible.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 25, 2016 at 1:31:39 am

Copy. I use them for mounting cameras and Kino Flos and fresnels. Not sure how I would rig one with a spacelite.

I mounted it and by the time I added the inner white apron and diffusion plate at the bottom and a black curtain over the white apro, it seems very stable and is not moving.

I do have a follow up though. When I'm using Telescoping Hangers w/ Pipe Clamp & Stirrup and add Mafer or Cardellini or some other grip to mount a camera or light, the hangers will rock for a while before settling down. is there a fix for this?

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Aug 25, 2016 at 5:29:34 pm

Time, I suspect.

Not trying to be flip, just let things settle down a bit before anything critical.

I've Cardellini'ed small fixtures on top of doors, G-taped baby plates/pigeons to AC ducting - again, for small instruments only, set grip arms off shelving, whatever the situation calls for, as long as (a) no one gets hurt and (b) nothing gets broken. Especially (a).

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 25, 2016 at 6:11:03 pm

Ok just thought maybe there was a way to rig it so it wouldn't rock. I have an order I'm hoping will be approved that includes a lot of grip equipment including Matthew's hangers which might be better than whatever brands was installed. Maybe not, but we needed more anyway. Its not a big deal with lighting but I have taken somer shots where the camera is mounted from the grid and hanger and any adjustment to the camera will start the rocking again. Since two identical cams are mounted the remote controls are not an option. I'm just thinking that if I could use a grip head to attach to the hanger to add a different support to the grid it might do the trick.

I appreciate your help and do not take it personal or hear it as flip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]