FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV LED BackLights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Walker
TV LED BackLights
on Jun 24, 2016 at 9:10:25 am

I am shooting a video in an office that has quite a few blueish purple LED TV backlights. Normally I would turn these off, but I'm curious if there is a trick to shoot around these with out the blow out. It gives a cool mood to the office, but I don't want to ruin my shoot. Here is a test photo on an iPhone.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: TV LED BackLights
on Jun 25, 2016 at 8:32:57 pm

That is what I despise about using LED instruments for color.

If you looked at that on a vectorscope you'd see a spike going well outside the blue area, in terms of saturated intensity.

Turn the LED backlights off - it's your best bet.

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:56:57 am

Thank you Alan for confirming this. I scoured the net for info, but majority of everything pointed to using LED Panels for general lighting or back lit TVs, not TV LED backlighting problems for video. If anyone can share any links that explain in detail why this happens, I'm all ears. Thanks again Alan.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Jun 26, 2016 at 6:10:30 pm

The LEDs are emitting that pure color at very high saturation levels. So you're seeing clipping there, where the color falls off only as the light output is driven beyond the camera's ability to capture it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 3, 2016 at 11:42:46 pm

Can't imagine what the point is of LED backlight on a TV monitor. I could see the monitor becoming a framed piece off art display or slide show when its not being used but shining distracting lights around it is weird.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:25:25 pm

Even if you can't find the menu to turn it off, looks like 8 small pieces of black gaff will easily solve the problem.

And so it goes.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]