FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kino Flo Diva Lite 400 - mix daylight and tungsten lamps?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sophia Smoloka
Kino Flo Diva Lite 400 - mix daylight and tungsten lamps?
on Apr 3, 2016 at 9:25:38 pm

Hi,

I realize this might be a dumb question, but here it goes anyway:

I've got a Diva Lite 400 light at work, with alternating True Match daylight and tungsten lamps (i.e. 2 daylight and 2 tungsten lamps, alternating ) - 5500°K and 3200°K color temperature. This is just how I found it in the cupboard.

Would that be the correct setup for an indoor interview, alternating the lamps like that? (This would be the only added light for the interview.)

There are some spare lamps in case you're meant to stick to either one of the color temperatures.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Kino Flo Diva Lite 400 - mix daylight and tungsten lamps?
on Apr 3, 2016 at 11:50:31 pm

You could easily solve this problem yourself: put someone in the interview position at the location where you plan to shoot, or at some place similar with whatever other light is present such as daylight and/or house lamps; key-light him/her with your mixed daylight-tungsten Diva; manually white-balance to the mixed Diva; and look at the results. The subject should look "normal" since you white-balanced for the Diva which is what is mostly lighting him/her. How does the rest of the room look? Too blue? Too orange? Just right?

If just right, change nothing. If too blue, swap out the tungsten bulbs for daylight so now your Diva is 100% daylight. If too warm, swap out the daylight for tungsten so now your Dive is 100% tungsten. In either case, re-white balance to your new Diva bulbing. Check the results.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Kino Flo Diva Lite 400 - mix daylight and tungsten lamps?
on Apr 13, 2016 at 11:56:51 pm

Being able to mix the daylight and tungsten-balanced tubes is one of the nice things about the Kino Flo Diva.

Just as some people like to "cheat" the white balance process with a 1/4 blue gel over the lens, to "warm up" the scene, you can add a little warmth to an interview light by including one tungsten tube. Just watch out -- the Diva has a switch to enable two or all four tubes.

Mix away.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]