FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would this work to diffuse my Joker Bugs?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Would this work to diffuse my Joker Bugs?
on Mar 3, 2016 at 9:30:40 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Mar 3, 2016 at 10:31:15 pm

Got a shot coming up, two-person interview here:

You're looking West in mid-afternoon, shoot is in the morning. I've got two Joker Bug 400 HMI's to light this with, plus what is in my Lowel kits. Gelling the glass is off the table.

The unmodified Joker Bug is quite a blowtorch: I need cheap, really cheap diffusion that's easy to set up and tear down. I was thinking about the plaskolite cracked ice or milky-white plastic panels used in basement fluorescent ceiling light troughs... this stuff, clipped to light stands:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89091-1638-1435019A_1z11pvc__?productId=3391688&pl=...

I know some will say plastic shower curtains, but I'm really worried about the heat melting them. Maybe I need to think about bounce cards instead of diffusion. My main aim is flat even light that will counter the blow-out from the windows and not look too amateurish in the mounting.

Return to posts index

Erik Anschicks
Re: Would this work to diffuse my Joker Bugs?
on Mar 5, 2016 at 5:18:03 am

Two questions:

When you say two-person interview, do you mean two cameras, like a cam on reporter and talent in two OTS shots or two interviewees side-by-side in the same shot?

Is REAL diffusion of the silk/frost/grid variety off the table for some reason? Or getting, say, an 8x with single and double netting flavors to strategically place behind subject in lieu of gelling windows? Just trying to get a sense of limitations..

Bounce cards could work, though I think you'd have to use both Jokers on the same card to be a key source and then use a bit of foamcore or such to bounce some fill. Unless your background out the window is in HEAVY shadow, I doubt a single 400w Joker would give enough punch when bounced. If you have a LOT of ambient daylight coming in, you can go harder with the light than you might normally since there will be so much natural fill to soften shadows. Negative fill is also a consideration in such ambient-light heavy locations, you maximize your lumens by using both jokers to fight the windows then simply put the negative fill right out of frame to shape the faces as much as possible.

I've been able to fight a space like this with a bounced 1200 par and negative fill, Jokers really pack a punch, a dedicated 800w one can more than hold its own with many 1200's, I'd imagine 2 400w ones would probably get you relatively close to that.

If you're dead set on really cheap diffusion, bedsheets or curtain shears could also work in a pinch and HMI's don't get nearly as hot as tungsten so I wouldn't worry so much about overheating them.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 5, 2016 at 5:40:32 am

[Mark Suszko] "I know some will say plastic shower curtains, but I'm really worried about the heat melting them."

Mark... I know common sense says it totally would melt, but I've used "shower curtain" material to diffuse JokerBug 800s and 1200 Fresnel HMIs oh, about a thousand times (including today), and there has never been any hint of melting, scorching, burning, or even them feeling the slightest bit warm.

I cut it into my own 4x4s and use it in Hollywood frames right in front of the instruments. I also have one 1200w that I modified the barn doors on (drilling four holes in the ring) to make its own built-in speedring) so that I could use four old softbox rods in it and attach a 4x4 of the vinyl right to the head without using a frame.

If you go to this page....
http://fantasticplastic.com/portfolio/news019.html
...look at the trio of pics near the bottom. In the top and bottom pics you can see the HMIs blasting through the vinyl in the Hollywood frames. In the MIDDLE picture you can see the vinyl attached right to the instrument head with the rods.

That's all to show you just how close to the heads you can use it. Now, I do not leave these unattended... but as I said I've never had so much as a tiny scorch mark or even a warm spot.

This is the material I use...

http://hancockfabrics.com/clear-vinyl-frosty-width-004-738922.html

I used to use tons of conventional diffusion materials, lots of silks, yards and yards of Lee 250... but I swear there is no more beautiful light than what comes through this stuff. And it's a tenth the price of anything else on the list.

I have tons of rags... that never make it out of the bag. I use this stuff like crazy.

Now, I wouldn't use it with tungsten heads, no way. But HMIs are so much cooler per watt, it works great.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 5, 2016 at 6:34:10 am

To clarify, it's two, Joker-bug 400's, and a 3-camera talk show camera setup; center 2-shot, side cameras for singles. We wanna be able to see outside as well as inside. We don't have Hancock Fabrics here any longer, will have to see if Jo-Ann's Fabrics in town sells something similar. There's no budget for this job, so anything bought is out of my own pocket. I really didn't want to have to build big-@ss frames for silks, if the plaskolite panels work. Tried one of those today and it was a little too much reduction in power for the amount of diffusion. I can try one or two more different texture/white variations early next week.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 5, 2016 at 3:38:55 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Mar 5, 2016 at 3:44:19 pm

[Mark Suszko] "We don't have Hancock Fabrics here any longer, will have to see if Jo-Ann's Fabrics in town sells something similar"

This looks to be it....

http://www.joann.com/frosted-clear-vinyl--8-gauge/9132705.html#q=clear+viny...

[Mark Suszko] " I really didn't want to have to build big-@ss frames for silks,"

You don't really have to, especially for interiors. You can always "Hollywood" it, just attach a piece to a horizontal grip arm on a C-stand. I do that with interiors all the time, if I'm in a hurry and don't want to put up (or wrestle with) a full frame, or in a smaller space where a 4x4 is overkill (or just won't fit), or if I don't want a full 4x4 rag but just a piece of one. Doing it that way you can also easily double up the diffusion by just laying it across the arm so you are shooting your light through two layers... easier and faster the double-silking the "correct" way... takes two seconds, literally.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 5, 2016 at 7:08:21 pm

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 7, 2016 at 4:39:43 pm

DARN it! Out of stock, nearest store with stock is almost 100 miles away.
I'll still buy some, when the local store has it in stock again, but we think we're going to bounce the Jokers off Flex-Fills now.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 7, 2016 at 4:42:20 pm

Happy to buy you some and overnight it to you if you need it... because that's just the kind of guy I am.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 23, 2016 at 12:39:23 am

I like using binder clips to attach to the horizontal arm. Works better than grip clips for fabrics.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]