FORUMS: list search recent posts

best gaffers tape

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
best gaffers tape
on Feb 10, 2016 at 9:59:35 pm

what do you recommend.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: best gaffers tape
on Feb 12, 2016 at 5:29:26 pm

[Craig Alan] "what do you recommend."

I like the Shurtape gaffer tapes myself. Nice and strong, but never leaves any residue IME.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 12, 2016 at 6:14:12 pm

Yes, Shurtape is definitely the "industry standard" and is what we have always used...

EXCEPT recently, when we needed several rolls in different colors for a certain project, and we bought another brand (only because they came in colors that Shurtape didn't, at last not at FilmTools). I'll have to say, the tape was not nearly as good. For plain ol' black gaf we'll stick with Shurtape in the future.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 13, 2016 at 2:42:07 am

Thanks Todd and Bruce. I contacted them and they are going to send me samples of their different gaf tapes. I asked them what the different items amounted to. I gather some are stronger and some leave less residue but they also have different lines and it wasn't clear to me which was the best quality. Most likely pro gaf line. I've ordered these in the past. I'll check what brand got ordered when i get back to the studio. Its also possible the rolls I have got subjected to too much heat. Its not like it doesn't work but it does leave residue beyond a short amount of time on whatever i am using it on.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 28, 2016 at 6:36:19 pm

Well never got their samples but the rolls i had in the studio were shurtapes in black and they are fine for a single shoot and then remove. but for longer periods they end up leaving sticky residue like most tape does. for example when i've taped the end of an interconnect to prevent it from coming loose during shoots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]