FORUMS: list search recent posts

3-Point Light - Basic question

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Leitão
3-Point Light - Basic question
on Feb 4, 2016 at 12:11:56 pm

Guys,

A basic question. When working with 3 point light system vertical angle matters? Most of my light equipment is DIY working lights. I improvised stands with some music sheet stands I have here but they are not tall at all. I'm setting up a shot of me playing a instrument sitting on a chair. Simple as that while I'm seating if I remove the diffusion the light beam will hit me between my chest and belly but of course it lights all the shot. I have 3 halogen 500w setup. Can you give me your thoughts about?

Another question. I can't buy another light kit right now so is there anyway to reduce the ambient heat with that lamps? I'm sweating like hell :D

Thx

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 3-Point Light - Basic question
on Feb 8, 2016 at 7:22:25 pm

Here's a great explanation with interactive examples, on this site:

http://lowel.tiffen.com/edu/

Spend an hour clicking around in there and you'll have a better idea what to do, to achieve specific looks.

If you don't want heat, LED lights on Amazon and ebay are in the 20-40 dollar range and run very cool.

There is a gel material you can put over halogen lights that blocks a lot of infra-red, but the room will still get warm.

Consider using bounce cards to reflect your hot lights and soften them. Bounce cards can be as cheap as a sheet of foam core from the dollar store, or scrap cardboard with crinkled aluminum foil glued on.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: 3-Point Light - Basic question
on Feb 12, 2016 at 5:47:04 pm

[Alexandre Leitão] "When working with 3 point light system vertical angle matters?"

Yes it does. You can try different vertical angles and see. Lights too high and you'll get intrusive eyebrow and nose shadows for example. Lights right over the camera tends to leave you without much in the way of shadows at all. Often used as a "beauty light" to make faces look super smooth.

[Alexandre Leitão] "is there anyway to reduce the ambient heat with that lamps?"

There are several ways. My favorite is to bounce the light. OK, my favorite is to use non-tungsten lights in the first place.

Sounds like what you actually need is a bank of fluorescent lights. You could build a set of two or four short T8 fixtures (electronic ballasts, not magnetic) and use cinema bulbs to get a decent light quality (K temp and CRI). This would eliminate the need for the diffusion since the light is already soft, and eliminate the heat.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]