FORUMS: list search recent posts

white back ground look

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
white back ground look
on Aug 24, 2015 at 9:36:35 pm

We have a white CYC.

We have fresnels, kino flos (diva lites), lekos.

We do not have HMIs.

The CYC wall is lit from the lighting grid with LED banks.

But mostly a white b.g. turns grey particularly for stills.

Interestingly the green LEDS in the banks will pull a key nicely.

But white is never bright enough to create the white b.g. look.

I know from googling that photogs will use 4 lights aimed across the width of the b.g. and use a stop or so brighter than the subject to overexpose the b.g.

What would you recommend we can use of the lights we have along with diffusion cloth soft banks etc. or what lights can me buy that would get the job done.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: white back ground look
on Aug 25, 2015 at 2:51:06 pm

If there is a quarter to a half-stop difference between the white peaks on your talent, and that of the backdrop "as-is", why can't you just raise the overall levels and adjust the midrange in post to get the "white-out" backdrop effect you seek?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:17:25 am

Because the wall just is not getting enough light.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 1, 2015 at 2:56:21 pm

Maybe the kinos would do it. Lighting the cyc from just the top isn't going to be even enough. Try using your hottest lights pointed thru some suspended diffusion material, aimed in from the sides at 45 degree angles. Another way to go would be to buy cheap fluorescent lighting fixtures at the home improvement store, load them with high-CRI tubes or Videssence or KinoFlo tubes, and have those wash across the cyc from the edges, inwards.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 3, 2015 at 8:12:16 pm

Maybe there's something I am not understanding here, but why wouldn't you just use less light for the subject, thereby requiring a wider aperture, which would make the background whiter?

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]