FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lightning in a gym

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charlie shiferaw
Lightning in a gym
on Jul 31, 2014 at 6:11:01 pm

Hey guys.

I'm new to this forum, and actually made up an account for one reason only. A question. I've noticed how some gyms, and other places as well has a type of lightning in a room where you look more fit/defined, both in body, and face structure. Would it be possible to produce/make a type of light which would have this effect, no matter the environment,or surroundings?

I hope you guys would help me figure this out.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Lightning in a gym
on Jul 31, 2014 at 6:35:02 pm

Light that is harder and at more of an acute angle will make a subject look more defined... such as a hard instrument (an open face instrument, or a fresnel, or other "hard" fixture) hung high and pointed down. That creates shadows, and shadows = definition.

Light that is softer and at a less acute angle, such as a soft instrument (big softbox, umbrella, hard light bounced into a reflector, etc.) and more at eye/body level and nearer the camera (more "straight on") will make a subject look "smoother" and less defined. Fewer shadows and softer more uniform light = less definition.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Lightning in a gym
on Aug 1, 2014 at 9:17:18 pm

Nicely put Todd.
To simply even further, with an example everyone can understand, think of the definition (and shadows created) by the one true light source -- the sun -- at noon on a cloudless day. It's very bright and far away (therefore very small). You can't get a much more harsh light.
Then add a thick cloud cover -- which diffuses that single hard source turning it into a much larger source spreading the light evenly, wrapping everything in a soft wash of shadowless light.
DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]