FORUMS: list search recent posts

Theatrical Scrim will it do a moiré?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Hamel
Theatrical Scrim will it do a moiré?
on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:34:29 pm

Hi,

Let me introduce myself, I am a ligthing designer mostly active in live theater and other performance art. I have few notion of lighting for camera, but your help would be welcome.

We will held a live event in a theater. There will be four to six different TV station broadcasting live. It is kinda hard to coordinate with all the TV crew, so the idea is to offer them something easy to film, but that still have some appeal.

The idea is to use a Cyclorama and a scrim (in front of the cyc) as backdrop instead of a black curtain. Of course the Cyc will be lit. Am I right to be frighten that it may cause a moiré nightmare?

If I stand with my photometers where the actor will be what should be the differnce in Fc beetwen the front light lighting the actor and the remaining light i got from the cyc?

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Theatrical Scrim will it do a moiré?
on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:26:43 pm

I have shot ballet where a scrim was used. It did not moire. In most wide shots the pattern/texture of the scrim isn't resolved so no moire. If you shot a closeup where the scrim was in focus, then you might see moire. Generally, there's not a lot of contrast between a scrim and cyc which also helps. High contrast patterns/lines tend to moire more.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Theatrical Scrim will it do a moiré?
on Jun 1, 2014 at 6:09:08 am

I've found that keeping your talent as far as possible from the Cyc the more forgiving the b.g. effect becomes.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]