FORUMS: list search recent posts

Diffusion "Curtains" Perhaps?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Diffusion "Curtains" Perhaps?
on Jan 19, 2014 at 4:14:24 am

There are some times where I think the light from my window might be really useful... unfortunately, it's also very harsh.

I'm considering trying to make a curtain out of diffusion cloth... or just buying a curtain specifically made for this type of thing...

Any thoughts or ideas?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Diffusion "Curtains" Perhaps?
on Jan 19, 2014 at 5:22:53 am

Yep... this stuff, one of my favorite things, discussed in this previous post.....

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/47/860477

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jan 19, 2014 at 6:51:28 pm

A lot depends on what else the room is used for. Sheer curtains will do the job and also look acceptable. Otherwise, Todd's vinyl or any number of other diffusion materials will work. The thicker the diffusion, the softer the light, but also the less light intensity.

I use a combination of diffused sunlight and bounced hard light for the food shots I take for my wife's food blog. You can see the basic setup on my website, http://rickwisedp.com. Click on "still photography," then "food photography." Click on the last thumbnail to see the setup. The major drawback: As were the early filmmakers, I am entirely dependent on the weather and the position of the sun. In the summer I have a very short window when the sun is clear of a tree outside but not yet so high that its rays are blocked by the roof overhang. In the winter the window of opportunity is much longer.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 19, 2014 at 7:45:18 pm

A diffused window is no more or less than a daylight softbox that you can't move.

If it's in the right place, (and by the "right place" i mean a place where the light falls how you want it on your subject, or a place where you can move your subject so that the light from said window does what you want) then it's a cool thing.

If it's not - then you're hosed, because of the "can't move" thing.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 19, 2014 at 8:14:45 pm

Rick's setup is very inspirational. I'm always a little bit in awe of people who can shoot really wonderful interiors with just available light.

The fantastic British photographer Antony Armstrong-Jones (better known to most people as Lord Snowdon) had for years in his London studio a grand total of ZERO lighting instruments... only a northern skylight as his single light source. And he could manipulate it in such amazing ways, creating some of the most wonderful portraits of people you'd ever want to see.

Good stuff.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 19, 2014 at 8:15:14 pm

Good advice fellas... thank you.

Todd, I was thinking about something that would look more like a traditional curtain (to keep the wife happy) but I think I might be able to design a shade of some sort which would still look good.

Either way, I will keep that material bookmarked.

Rick, I don't know what the hell Lahmajoun is, but it looks delicious.

Bill, the type of filming that I'll be doing with this window qualifies as "it's good enough" type footage.

As long as I'm not crazy overexposed and the light catches approximately half of my face, we're fine. I'm filming myself making customer support phone calls from my desk.... doesn't have to be perfect, I just don't want it to be distractingly bad.

Anyhow, this is the info that I need... thanks gents! Instant solution as always.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:28:20 am

You owe it to yourself to track down some lahmejun (that's the way my Armenian friends here in the Northeast spell it). It's essentially an Armenian flat bread pizza. Any good middle eastern bakery should have them. You can get lamb ones, lamb and green peppers, garlic and lamb, ground beef, and many other tasty combinations. And any mid to major sized city should have a middle eastern bakery. They often sell them frozen in boxes of a dozen. Mmmm....Lahmejun...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:46:08 pm

Rick, would a mirror outside the window extend your shooting time?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jan 19, 2014 at 11:59:24 pm
Last Edited By Rick Wise on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:06:56 am

Indeed, a 4x4 on a high combo stand would extend shooting time a lot. Most of the time it's not windy here, but in case of gusts multiple sand bags would be good. But no good place to store all of that. I've learned to read my window of opportunity and make that work. Maybe some day I'll buy a "daylight" LED and become independent of the sun. I've been doing it this way now for about 3 years. For my simple needs it works.

Loved many of the available-light portraits by Lord Snowdon that Todd mentioned. (Google image search produces tons.) Like this one of his ex:

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]