FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to find 'cookies' lighting accessory

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Trying to find 'cookies' lighting accessory
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:43:52 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to duplicate an effect featured in the short video below, in which I believe they used cookies to cast shadows on the background. I particularly like the irregular, interesting shadows, as opposed to more specific ones such as geometric shapes, tree branches or window blinds (as this is for a corporate-type video). I'd appreciate any advice on how to procure or make a lighting accessory to achieve this look. I need one that's heat-resistant if possible, as the fresnel tungsten lights I'm using get extremely hot. Here's that sample video:

Thanks very much,
Neil

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Trying to find 'cookies' lighting accessory
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:53:09 pm

That's the original standard old-fashioned wooden "cookie"... I belive you can still get them from FilmTools, among other places. Or you can make your own, I recall seeing a downloadable pattern on line, use thin plywod or masonite and cut it with a jigsaw.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 10, 2014 at 8:11:19 pm

Honestly, if you want a background similar to the one in the picture...

Just get a roll of Cinefoil. (essentially video aluminum foil that's solid black)

Get a stick like object. (pencil will do fine).

Roll off enough foil to cover the front of your light fixture - and stab it randomly with the stick.

Mess around with the edges of some of the holes to make them more random.

Clip it with a C-47 (clothespin) close to a defocused fresnel or similar diffuse light that doesn't cast hard shadows.

You're done.

If you don't like that pattern, do it again until you're happy.

This. Not. Rocket. Science.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 10, 2014 at 8:33:31 pm

Bill's right, there are easier ways to do this.

But if you do want to do it the old-fashioned "Hollywood way"...

http://www.filmtools.com/24x36wocums1.html?gclid=CL-YwKi59LsCFeHm7AodKikAEA

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I saw someone use one of these cookies... maybe ten years? The last time I saw one period was about five years ago, in its slot on a grip truck. Didn't look like it had been used in a while.

Also, pretty darn expensive for what you get, if you ask me.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 10, 2014 at 10:03:24 pm

I do it the same way Bill does, with cinefoil and a bic pen.

You could also use a video projector to shoot any kind of pattern you can dream up.

A classic method, if you have a Source Four Junior Leko, is to spend 50 or so bucks to get an M pattern metal gobo ( a little larger than the old Kennedy coin) from Rosco to slip into the light's filter slot. The Leko has more power than a video projector.

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Jan 11, 2014 at 11:36:36 am

Thank you very much for these great suggestions, Bill, Todd and Mark! I'm going to try the cinefoil approach Bill suggested first, thanks Bill. I greatly appreciate all this specific, helpful feedback.
Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]