FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pulldown Screen VS White Rolldown Paper... for white background

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Pulldown Screen VS White Rolldown Paper... for white background
on Jan 1, 2014 at 11:42:54 pm

Alright guys... so now that this lighting set-up is done, I'm having a problem with the backdrop. The white paper rolls are annoying, they crumple, they're hard to roll back up, and are generally cumbersome.

Is there any reason why I can't use some type of projector screen which can easily pull down and roll up like a shade?

Do they make these specifically for photography or should I go with projection screen as a test?

Any sources for this kind of item?

Thanks as always for your lighting wisdom.

---Trav

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Pulldown Screen VS White Rolldown Paper... for white background
on Jan 2, 2014 at 12:38:43 am

White paper and a projection screen are two different beasts.

White paper is much more light absorptive than projection screen material - which is purpose built to reflect light back.

I personally value spill control over light gain.

Probably why, in most cases, I use dove grey seamless rather than white for most of my shooting - including when I'm projecting backgrounds on it.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jan 2, 2014 at 1:09:38 am

One of the terms for slightly gray paper is "video white." Also paint. Pure white is too "hot".

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 2, 2014 at 1:21:02 am

Thanks guys!

I surmised that the projector would end up being a "hotter" white... I just wasn't sure if this is "bad" or not. I know the look of the paper is likely to be better... but right now the convenience factor of my current set up is not good.

Thanks for the tip on the grey paper or "video white"... I probably should have asked you guys about that earlier.

Are there any pulldown backgrounds that are meant to be more absorptive than reflective? If I could make the use of this background as simple as pulling down a shade, I would really really really improve the easy of my production, and the feng shui of my office!

---Trav

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 2, 2014 at 2:17:46 am

Definitely go with seamless....

And pull down and roll up can be a breeze.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll shoot a few seconds of video our system in action. Total DIY, ten bucks worth of parts from Home Depot and ten minutes to put it together... rolls up and down like a charm.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 2, 2014 at 2:50:51 am

Todd... that would be absolutely amazing.

My life would be so much easier.

You ever have your paper just unroll uncontrollably? That was fun.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:13:33 pm

Ok Travis, here you go... I threw this together a few minutes ago.

You need to hit Home Depot's electrical aisle and grab one piece of 3/4" electrical conduit.

Then jump over to the plumbing aisle and get one 1"-to"3/4" PVC slip joint and two 4" knockout plugs.

That's all you need, except some cord and a little bit of hardware you probably already have hanging around, S-hooks and eyebolts and the like....

There's no audio on this video, I did it in a hurry...

DIY Background Roller

It works well. We have about four or five backdrops hanging, but I only have this system on the white seamless because it's the one that goes up and down a lot. I should put it on the others but just haven't gotten around to it. The spring clamps on the bottom edge of the paper are just for weight... without them, when you try to roll it all the way up the paper will flip over because of the curl.

Hope it helps....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:23:40 pm

Genius.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:48:49 pm

Holy crap... that is amazing... great idea on this and thank you for taking the time to make this video!

Right now, I'm using 107 inch paper... I hope they make conduit that long!

This is absolutely perfect... I'll send you a picture when I have it set up! Thanks again for this, I'm headed to home depot now.

---Trav

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:52:26 pm

Great, good luck... hope it works for you.

And Mark, as usual you exaggerate. I think the word you are looking for is "stingy," although I will also accept "cheap."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 2, 2014 at 10:05:18 pm

Todd's solution IS genius.

My stupid plastic chain Manfrotto roller system is constantly screwing up. (sigh)

I will note one thing for the OP.

The 107" paper rolls are STUPID heavy and take a lot of pull to get rolling.When you hang them, make sure they're balanced and that the support is even across the width of the roll - especially if they sit for months at a tme not used. The rolls can easily "bow" without good support.

In this 16X9 world that length makes a lot of sense - but just know that I find the long rolls a comparitive b**ch to work with.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Stapleton
on Apr 4, 2015 at 3:07:53 pm

Todd Terry,

Can you send me the DIY setup video you reference? I am trying to do rear projection with seamless paper or a similar set to provide background video for a production behind actors. What do you suggest?

Steve

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 4, 2015 at 5:11:51 pm

[Steve Stapleton] "Can you send me the DIY setup video you reference?"

Did you watch the video I posted further up in this thread? That's really all I have to offer as far as instructions, etc., it's pretty self explanatory.

BTW... you wouldn't be able to do rear projection with seamless background paper as you mentioned. You could do front projection, but not rear.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Stapleton
on Apr 4, 2015 at 5:32:46 pm

I did not see a link for the video, only a reference to you putting it up "tomorrow".

Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Stapleton
on Apr 4, 2015 at 5:37:06 pm

T2,

I found the video of the rig you posted on the 1st or 2nd January. I need to find something else that I can hang from suspension wire that will allow rear projection. Maybe frosted shower curtain or Aglo fabric from Rose Brand?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 5, 2015 at 9:15:41 am

Seemless is the wrong product, You want actual rear-projection screen material.
Rose Brand is an excellent source.
They carry white, black, grey and translucent depending on the environment and the ambient light levels involved.

Using the wrong material will usually cost you a LOT of the efficiency that you're going to need if you want a bright, viewable image in anything but a fully dark space.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]