FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I mount a light AND an arm with flag on same C stand?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
How can I mount a light AND an arm with flag on same C stand?
on Jan 1, 2014 at 9:54:28 pm

I have new cool LED lights so it would be desirable to put the light on the post and a flag with diffusion on the arm. Since I'm not concerned about the light melting the diffusion this setup would only require one stand. I've not seen this done and a quick image search confirmed that most use c stands for flags, but not light and flags.

Any one have a solution? The problem is clamp on the center post takes up too much of the post to mount a light.

Thanks

Larry

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: How can I mount a light AND an arm with flag on same C stand?
on Jan 1, 2014 at 11:02:52 pm

Post a photo of the rig as you have it now.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:11:21 pm

Larry, depending on how your instruments are made, if you are only wanting diffusion you might find it easier to attach something to the fixture head itself, rather than another piece of hardware that also attaches to the stand.

That's what I do with my LEDs. I basically did two things... first I added an umbrella holder on each of them, made from some umbrella holders that I bought on eBay and cannibalized for parts. With them I can use a silk umbrella or a silver reflective one. I also took some old umbrellas and took half the ribs out and then "re-skinned" them with this very translucent vinyl that I like to use. Those are good options depending on how hard or soft a result I'm looking for. As you can see I attached the holder at a slight angle so that the instrument would shoot more in the center of the umbrellas.

The second thing I did was drill holes in the fixture's filter tracks so I could put small softbox rods and add the silk (just the silk, not the actual box). That works well, too, but honestly the umbrellas work so well and so fast that I rarely use the softbox silks....

If you really want to add multiple things to your existing C-stands, Matthews makes adapters that have one baby-pin receiver and then with two or three baby pins on top where you can add multiple pieces of 5/8" hardware to the same stand.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:01:55 pm

The LED head has holes for a soft box rods, but I'd never seen them part from a ring kit.
The matthews flag was cheaper and more versatile than a soft box anyway.

The rods and silk Terry shared would work. Where are those for sale?

THX

Larry

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:25:20 pm

[Larry Watts] "The rods and silk Terry shared would work. Where are those for sale?"

Bought a couple of those on eBay... just some small cheap Chinese-made softboxes.

I usually use Chimera or Photoflex softboxes, but I was just needing the rods and silk and wasn't totally sure it was going to work, so I went the cheap route as an experiment.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:56:44 pm

I'd like the arm holding the diffusion flag to be below the light.

Return to posts index

Erik Anschicks
on Jan 10, 2014 at 2:13:05 am
Last Edited By Erik Anschicks on Jan 10, 2014 at 2:18:34 am

Larry-

If I've understood your question correctly, the solution is fairly simple. Todd's advice to mount the diffusion to the light will certainly work, here is one more option though-

Get a cardellini or a mafer (super) clamp with the 5/8 baby pin and clamp it onto the stand itself, then simply mount the grip head to the spud. Then you can attach the arm and whatever frame of diffusion or flag you want. Here's a photo example, I have used a cardellini (actually the Matthews version, the Mathellini) as it's my preferred clamp. You can get them from anyplace that sells grip gear, such as filmtools.com or BH:

Return to posts index

jb earl
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:29:08 pm

I bolted a baby pin (5/8) in one side of a grip head. This allows me to put a light fixture on the stud on top of the grip head and an arm on the same stand. You'll need a short bolt (3/8-16 IIRC) to lock in the baby pin- and allow the knob on the grip head to clear.

a Lowel Lobo clamp will also allow you to put an arm right on a small stand if the load is not too heavy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]