FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProFoto D1 1000 Strobes: Can I use modeling lights for video?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Commangno
ProFoto D1 1000 Strobes: Can I use modeling lights for video?
on Dec 9, 2013 at 3:28:25 am

I have a photo shoot next week, and have rented the ProFoto D1 1000 strobes for the shoot (2 of them). Their modeling lamps are 300 watts I believe.

In addition to shooting stills, my client has asked for a short video to be shot as well. The model will be stationary, standing and speaking to camera.

I wanted to find out if it will be possible/practical to use the D1's modeling lamps as a primary light source for the video, or if I will need to rent a separate lighting kit. If I can use the modeling lights it would simplify the shoot, but quality is also important. I'll be shooting the video with a Canon 5D Mark III, but would prefer not to go with the high ISO method of getting the shot.

Any experience/advice/feedback appreciated!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: ProFoto D1 1000 Strobes: Can I use modeling lights for video?
on Dec 9, 2013 at 5:11:43 pm

I'd say you were on the ragged edge of usability doing this, and you'll be pushing the low-light ability of the video by not having more light to work with.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 9, 2013 at 5:19:38 pm

Yeah, you're going to need proper lighting to do that, no way would I attempt it with the dim modeling lights from strobes, especially with that camera.

Admitting that I am not a still photographer by profession and never use flashes, I'll have to say that I've never seen any modeling lights on strobes that appeared to put out anywhere near what a 300w conventional tungsten light does. But even if they do, that's not enough to do the job, or at least not do it well by any stretch.

Even if you can get it within the range of acceptable exposure, you will likely have your ISO jacked up to the max... which you understandably said you did not want to do.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Erik Anschicks
on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:23:16 pm

Rent a kit. An Arri kit and/or a few kino flos are pretty cheap to rent by the day. Especially if you find yourself needing light for the background or whatever your setting is in addition to the model. Don't try and make something "kinda" work if the cost to do it right isn't prohibitively expensive.

Return to posts index

Chris Commangno
on Dec 9, 2013 at 11:18:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback - kind of what I thought as well. I decided to rent some LitePanels from BorrowLenses.

Return to posts index

Erik Anschicks
on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:14:09 am

Good call! Those should do the trick. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]