FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camtree / Proaim led light experience?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McSwain
Camtree / Proaim led light experience?
on Dec 4, 2013 at 12:46:55 pm

Anyone have any experience with these? Or any other low price leds? Price seems good.

http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/2pc-CAMTREE-Shine-LED-1000-Studio-light-CT-1-...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Camtree / Proaim led light experience?
on Dec 4, 2013 at 3:30:53 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Dec 4, 2013 at 3:31:43 pm

Hi Michael...

I don't own those, but I do own a pair of different ProAim instruments from Camtree. Solid enough, for what you pay for.

They were discussed in a previous thread...

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/47/860518

Now that's a loooong thread that initially was started regarding some backlighting questions, but it got sidetracked. The discussion of the LEDs and some pictures of mine are about halfway down the thread, I think.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:58:27 pm

I actually looked at the 1000 led models for a long time but instead bought a pair of the beamlite 72 because they are much brighter.

I'm planning on buying a 2nd set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNIiEtkEXU‎

They are great lights. They also make these lights as well which I am looking into but no reviews online>yet:

http://www.thecinecity.com/eshop/PROAIM-2pcs.-AURA-2412-Power-LED-Lights-wi...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:56:54 pm

[Brian Tucker] "They also make these lights as well which I am looking into but no reviews online"

Well here's your first review... they're great. Those are the exact instruments I use.

I will say though that I paid about half that for mine. They were on an eBay auction that had a "Make me an Offer" button... and I offered something ridiculously low, and the seller countered just a bit higher.

Couple of slight differences... mine came with V-mount battery plates on the back and those appear to have none. I took them off anyway and replaced them with Anton-Bauer goldmount battery plates.

I also fashioned umbrella holders for mine, and drilled angled holes in the filter holder pieces to accept softbox rods.

They were discussed more here...
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/47/860539

But yeah, they're not LitePanels but for the price they are great little instruments. The only downsides were the stands... which I fully expected to be crap and was proven correct. Like most bargain instruments, the stands are worth throwing away and not much else. We didn't care because we never intended to use them anyway. I almost always use these fixtures on C-stands.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Dec 21, 2013 at 12:02:13 pm

Yes the stands on my were cheapo but they will do for now.

I considered buying these smaller ones but saw (based on their charts) the 72 bulb version to be slightly brighter (2k-3k lux) once you got 3' & 4' out but I don't know if that is a huge amount of difference in light or not as this is my first set of led lights. I wanted to be better safe than sorry. I also "thought" i needed the barn doors but not sure if I actually do.

I also noticed that the aura series light was down @ 1500 lux @ 3' and 1200 @ 4' vs the beamlight 72, wasn't sure if this would really make a big difference but I wanted to be safe. Is @ 1800 lux @ 3' and 1500 @ 4' really going to be a huge difference?

I take it since you used an umbrella/diffuser barn doors were not important to you? How do you control spillage?

I was considering to buy three (or even 5) of these aura series for key, hair lights and also to blow out a white background.

Heck, I may even sell off the ones I have (72 version) and buy 5 of the smaller ones to make things smaller/easier to transport, not sure if barn doors are really even that important? (I do mostly talking head and still shot videos.)

I would think that the lights you have would even be small enough to put a shower cap over in a pinch ;)

I will say the customer service and communication (even by skype) was EXCELLENT and they delivered them in less than three days. I would absolutely recommend these to anyone.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 22, 2013 at 4:42:01 am

[Brian Tucker] " I also "thought" i needed the barn doors but not sure if I actually do."

You might find a use for them now and then, but as a sorta general rule barndoors are just next-to-useless for LED instruments. Because the instruments are actually dozens (or even hundreds) of individual little light sources, barndoors cannot be used to cut like they do with other single-source instruments. It just doesn't work. I'm sure one day there will be an LED fixture that works like a conventional fresnel with a single source and doors can cut properly.

For most LED instruments now, you have to cut with flags and such... and usually the farther the cutters are from the instruments, the better.

[Brian Tucker] "I take it since you used an umbrella/diffuser barn doors were not important to you? How do you control spillage?"

Yes I primarily only use the LEDs when either direct hard light or very soft light is needed. The umbrellas I use are simply larger than the output area of the lights, so I don't get any direct undiffused spill from the heads at all... just even soft light. If any of that needs cutting, it's done with flags.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:49:45 am

Terry -

I also noticed that the aura series light was down 1800 lux @ 3' and 1500 @ 4' down vs. the beamlight 72, (on paper) and I wasn't sure if this would really make a big difference but I wanted to be safe.

The "sales person" from camtree said it was a huge difference but I wonder what your thoughts would be?

Is @ really going to be a huge difference?

Also, thank you for the info on the barn doors! These are the kinds of things buyers need to know before purchasing. I wish I would have know that!

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:03:49 pm

Sold the 72 led panels and I finally got a pair of the 2415 panels. I did pay more ($590 usd shipped) as they have raised the price since you bought them.

I used them at a press conference the other day and all three cameramen from the local news affiliates loved them and asked me for info on the lights.

I am considering buying some airbox softboxes for them.

On the battery side:

As far as battery, you can buy an Anton Bauer converter and buy knockoff Sony batteries see this link: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?310741-V-Mount-adapter-for-Sony-F-...

What I’m am actually considering is something better which is using one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DRPP600-Powerpack-Starter-Emergency/dp/B009Y...

OR...

taking it a step further and rigging up one of these per light: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=Anker%C2%AE%20Astro3%20100... which you could probably get a full day out of, I still need to do the math to see what will work best but these would have separate power per light.

You can buy an adapter for the xlr connector here to use the Anker power pack or look around on eBay. http://jag35.com/products/cables/xlrcable.html you could probably run all day off of the Anker pack.

You just need to get a little creative as the leds run forever on little to no power.

Thank you for the post. Love these lights! :)

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:05:42 pm

I also saw some of these lights being used on the new Spike TV series "Catch a Contractor" :)

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:19:57 pm

I have the somewhat different Camtree LED lights, with ones with the bigger LEDs (see my posts above)... but I power mine with regular Anton Bauer bricks. They originally had V-mount battery plates on the back but I switched them for AB goldmount plates since we had plenty of those batteries... and since the goldmounts are sort of the standard in our industry I knew I'd be able to easily find them if we were on a distant location without batts and had to rent them.

When I first got the lights as a test I just turned one on and waited to see how long it would take to exhaust the battery. It outlasted me though... I got bored with the test and turned it off after about 8 hours because I knew I would never need them that long. The gauge on the battery showed it to still have about a quarter of its juice left.

LOVE having to never run stringers anymore, and rarely if ever having to change batteries.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:38:39 pm

how many mah are those gold mount batteries?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:17:46 pm

I use different sizes, whichever ones are laying around... all 14.4v of course... but the most common ones I use are rated 5.9Ah 85WH

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Mar 13, 2014 at 12:30:09 pm

Do you have the 2412 (12v) or the 2415 (15v) series light?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:01:37 pm

I don't know about the model number, but mine are the 15v versions.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Mar 13, 2014 at 5:12:52 pm
Last Edited By Brian Tucker on Mar 13, 2014 at 5:23:12 pm

Specifically, which battery and mount retrofit models did you use? Mine came with an "A-mount" and I would like to try these batteries.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:14:48 pm

I couldn't say the exact model of the battery plates that I used... they were ones I had laying around from other projects or off of other things.

You can readily buy them though, I think if you get them from AB they are about a hundred bucks... but they are available far cheaper on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-3-Stud-Anton-Bauer-Gold-Mount-Battery-ENG...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:36:59 pm

How many hours do you get out of that battery?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:47:57 pm

I dunno... as I said above, I've never had one die. I ran a test once and got bored after 8 hours and turned it off. It was still going then.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Troy Grady
on May 12, 2014 at 8:27:15 pm

Hey Brian-

Why did you end up selling the 72s? Looking at those as a replacement for a 200W Lowel Rifa that won't generate as much heat. The 2415 looks a little smaller than the 72. Do you think either of these has enough power to replace the Rifa?

Thanks!

Troy

Return to posts index

Brian Tucker
on May 21, 2014 at 1:15:45 pm

I sold the 72's because I needed something smaller/versatile. These things (2415) work excellent and put off a LOT of light.

I do not have experience with your particular light but I would say if you need more than the 2415 the 72's put off even more light but you will have twice the kit to carry so its a trade off. One might even buy two sets of the 2415 and have more flexability than two 72's in the same footprint.

Before this I was using two cheapo softboxes with 5 100w equivalent fluorescent lights in them. They put off a lot of light but were a pain in the... The 2415 works great and if I need to diffuse I can just use diffusion paper or a showercap in a pinch. I am always shooting in smaller, less than optimal office spaces/places. :)

I get nothing but compliments on the smaller versions and I did away with the stands they came with and use.I use them with Manfrotto 5001B. This kit is he ultimate in portability. I had a media day recently with three local news affiliates there and two of the cameramen asked me to send them info about the lights. I have also seen these used on the set of "Catch a Contractor" on Spike TV.

There is also a 2412 version of this light (12v) as well so you may want to look into that and see how you may be able to run a cheap homemade/hacked external battery solution vs the 2415(15v) version.

I did get the anton bauer mounts on mine but have not invested in the batteries as of yet.

Here are the lights in action at the media day. I did not shoot this video however was shot with a Panasonic X920 - I can tell you this room is VERY dark, with a 5d MKIII i would be shooting ISO 6400 @ F2 with no flash.

Hope this helps

Also you can check the 2nd video here @ :50 sec (remaining) for closer shot by news affiliate - you can see the light distance in both examples and they are VERY far back, still ample light.

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/story-your-local-election-hq/d/story/distri...

Return to posts index

Troy Grady
on May 23, 2014 at 3:50:10 pm

Awesome, thanks Bryan -- that's super helpful. Decisions, decisions!

Troy

Return to posts index

Levon Poche
on Apr 28, 2014 at 5:27:41 am

Hi everyone,
I also need lighting advice. First of all, I am new here,just found while looking for advice, and i really enjoy being here...
Was just wondering if anyone have any experience with the video camera LED lights? I want to purchase LED light with stand and another on-camera light for studio but should be cheap.
Someone suggested me following lights
http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/PROAIM-2pcs.-AURA-24-Power-LED-Light.html

http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/CAMTREE-A-5-Reporter-LED-ON-Camera-Light.html

Any suggesyion?
Good or waste of money?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 28, 2014 at 5:38:37 am

I own those exact instruments.

Did you read the posts already in this lengthy thread? Lots of discussion about them above.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

reflin torm
on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:02:41 am

Generally based upon the needed requirements, The mode of selection will be depended. In these aspects, We must consider the high quality of LED strips which will help us to give more brightness while compared to the normal one.

Return to posts index

reflin torm
on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:01:50 am

Generally based upon the needed requirements, The mode of selection will be depended. In these aspects, We must consider the high quality of LED strips which will help us to give more brightness while compared to the normal one.

reflector design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]