FORUMS: list search recent posts

Off Topic - But I bet you'll know...

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Chaney
Off Topic - But I bet you'll know...
on Oct 17, 2013 at 11:38:33 pm

Greets,

This forum is my typical and trusted door into Creative Cow...

I'm heading to China to shoot the San Diego Symphony's tour. I want to send footage back to a number of local TV stations.

1. Are there any issues having to do with the Chinese government's control over the Net?
2. Who would know this kind of stuff... that is, who would be doing this right now and would know the current scoop?

3. I find FTP to be faster than services like DropBox or YouSendIt. Can anyone recommend a good FTP provider? (My ISP does not offer it) One plan is to set up my own FTP server and give the stations access.

Anything else I may be missing?

THANKS!!!
-Ralph

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Off Topic - But I bet you'll know...
on Oct 19, 2013 at 8:18:45 pm

Hi Ralph,

Last time I shot in China was before the internet (that dates me!)

Anyway, my guess is that it will next to impossible to do what you're asking. Especially to find high speed connections that do not have controlled access.

If you really must send back "news" footage, I recommend you talk with your local network affiliates to whom you'll be sending the footage for assistance. They could coordinate with the network bureaus in Bejing and find out how they "ship" footage. My guess is they do it through the government broadcaster.

Failing that, here a link to "Global Vision" who advertises Satellite and Fiber transmission:

http://www.gvn.cc/index.php

Good luck!

JS

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 21, 2013 at 3:31:55 pm

AP markets a custom laptop solution that will feed your video back home from any kind of connection from POTS line to cel phone modem to inmarsat satelite or Iridium phone, in variable quality and speed. The nice part about their system is that if the ftp is disrupted, the part that got thru is still playable, you don't have to start the entire download again from scratch. Pricy, and might get confiscated at the border, if they figure out what it can do.

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Oct 24, 2013 at 2:39:30 pm

Thanks for the leads. Given the time I have, the low budget, and being connected to the Chinese local governments (the Symphony is acting as their guests in each city) I'm opting for Net-based FTP.

FWIW I found two companies:

Maytech - affordable at around $150/month for 10GB storage. Has mirrored servers: one in Hong Kong and another on a continent of your choice. For some Mainland locations where I can't connect directly to Hong Kong, they have "access points" via mainland net companies, with government approval. We tested it with Mainland contacts and it works directly to Hong Kong from one of our cities.

Signiant - expensive for me at $3000 per year for 5 usernames, unlimited storage.

-Ralph

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]