FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting tutorial video of iPhone w/ white background

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Shaw
Shooting tutorial video of iPhone w/ white background
on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:36:48 pm

I'm looking to record a series of tutorial videos of an iPhone app. Previously I have done this by AirPlaying the screen onto my computer and then recording it, but this doesn't capture finger taps and swipes. This has worked fine, but I would like to use another method as seen below:

http://youtu.be/gNHrFFEMPxQ?t=2m5s

Any idea on how they might light this so that they get that white background? I think they might be keying it out. One thing I notice is that when the demonstrator taps the screen, his shadow does not effect the white background so if they are keying it out, how would they make sure that doesn't happen?

I appreciate any insight.

-Dan

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Shooting tutorial video of iPhone w/ white background
on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:51:22 pm

I'm pretty sure that's a composite, with the background matted out (shot on either greenscreen or bluescreen). Since the phone is often displaying icons etc that contain green and blue, those pieces would have to be garbage matted out for a clean key.

To do it practically on a real while background instead, I'd shoot it on a piece of milk-white glass (possibly frosted to avoid reflections), and backlight the glass. That'd be a super easy way to control exactly how bright the background should be in relation to the phone screen, and would also eliminate hand shadows.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 17, 2013 at 11:21:17 pm

Or you can just shoot it as you want the audience to see it.

Here's a "behind the scenes" shot of a smartphone in operation shoot we did about 2 years ago in my studio.

And here's a small screen cap directly from the HD video that resulted (we did 2 types of phones, the iPhone in the rig - and a second one in this shot) The hand model was leaning across the table to operate the stabilized hero phone. (advertiser logo greeked for obvious reasons)

It just takes time, patience, decent lighting skills and a bit of knowing what you're doing.
Kinda like everything else in the production world!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dan Shaw
on Oct 17, 2013 at 11:45:08 pm

Thanks Todd & Bill. That helps out a lot. Looks like I'll just have to be creative and do some trial & error.

I appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]