FORUMS: list search recent posts

What kind of Diffusion gel / softbox for 500w hot lights?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Bomboy
What kind of Diffusion gel / softbox for 500w hot lights?
on Sep 25, 2013 at 11:15:30 pm

Hello,

I'm running a High school TV studio. It's a very nice setuo for a public school. I'd like to start using diffusion for our (older) 500W V lights, fresnels, and scoops. The last director purchased a roll of gel, but it melts under the heat of the lamps.

Can you suggest some good stuff that will hold up under heat? I open to alot of options. Gel would be easiest because we have scrims for all types of lights except the V's. What can use for the V's?

Best,
Robb

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: What kind of Diffusion gel / softbox for 500w hot lights?
on Sep 26, 2013 at 12:01:14 am

I believe those V-lights need a tota frame to hold gels and diffusion. You cannot stick the gels directly on the light. There are a huge variety of diffusion "gels" out there. Go to the Lee and Rosco web sites and poke around. The thicker the diffusion, the softer the light. But the thicker the diffusion, the more it cuts down light intensity.

Great that your high school has such a studio!

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 26, 2013 at 1:03:13 am

Follow Rick's advice.

For a starting point (which can be overwhelming), give Lee 250 a look. That's a good middle-of-the-road diffusion, also known as "half white." While there what seems like an infinite number of choices, 250 is something you'll find on every grip truck anywhere... it's the "go to" diffusion.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 26, 2013 at 2:32:02 pm

Hi Robb. You can turn your v-lights into softboxes with, believe it or not, some foam core, gaffer tape, and wooden clothespins. Google Bill Holshevnikoff's Power of Lighting series for many excellent tips. He's the guy I copied in making my foam core softboxes. If you build them right, they never get warm, much less hot.

How I convert my old 1K studio halogens with barn doors into softboxes is is to lay them out on the concrete studio floor, turn them on briefly and mark the shape/angles of the cone of light they emit. Then I make the sides of the foam core softbox into trapezoids that taper a bit wider than that angle. Top and bottom trapezoids or rectangles are scaled to fit and taped together using gaffer tape on the outside corners. I attach this box to the barn doors of the old light, using wooden clothespins or, sometimes metal "bulldog" paper binder clips, tapes to the box exterior and clamping the barn doors, but wooden spring clothespins conduct less heat and are preferred. It is VITAL to leave an air gap around the point where you join the box to the barn doors. I finish my box with a sheet of Rosco toughspun pinned to the front.

Our chief engineer was skeptical of this lash-up, so I set this light up in the center of the studio away from everything flammable and let it run with the box for hours... the foam inside and out was hardly above room temp. The last one of these I made, worked for several years, until ti was replaced with a Rifalight.

The keys I think to making it work are the air gap for cooling flow, and the fact that the light doesn't directly impinge on the insides of the box, just the diffusion material on the end, because the box's angles are wider than the light beam. This also just helps make the diffusion surface that much bigger too. If you want to store or transport the box, slit one edge tape joint and it folds flat.

Anyhow it will only cost you maybe five bucks in materials, a sheet of diffusion, and some time, to try this out with a V-light. If you do, let me know how you liked it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 13, 2013 at 5:04:02 pm

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/diffusion-list.html

interactive cool Diffusion Index page.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]