FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scandles worth investment?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Bowshier
Scandles worth investment?
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:20:24 pm

I have the chance to make on offer on a used lowell kit:

Lowel Scandles Fluorescent Two Light 3000K Kit (120-230VAC)

The company is looking to get rid of it and just said make them an offer.

(B&H has it listed, but no longer available http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lostk2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=m...

My question is, with the industry moving more toward LED, is this kit worth investing in and at what price.
Or should I used the money toward a good set of LED's.

Thanks,

Derek

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Scandles worth investment?
on Jul 1, 2013 at 4:35:40 pm

LEDs look like the future but is still in the early stages of development. They have been discussed below. Check out what people are using now and the price points. This Lowel kit retails for about the same price as a Diva Lite kit. I'd go for the Diva. The Lowel is more a photographer's kit. Diva is a video industry standard that works great for photography as well. Lowel kits work fine but seem very tinkertoyish to me. The Diva is a completely thought out and a great run and gun. If you are in a studio get a baby jr and set up is a breeze.

Since the Lowel retailed new for $2500 I'd offer them $600. Lots of lights sold on ebay.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jul 1, 2013 at 5:02:06 pm

eBay is selling the kit, buy it now, for $650.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Video-Studio-LowelScandles-Two-Light-Kit-/261237991986?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item3cd2ff6a32

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:46:14 pm

I'm guessing the answer is "no," unless it particularly fills some need. There are usually good reasons for a product to be discontinued. I've always suspected that the perpendicular configuration of the lights in the Scandle is inefficient (relying almost entirely on the reflector to bounce the light), but I really don't know. otoh, Lowel is pretty good about keeping spare parts in stock.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:29:28 pm

[Bob Cole] "Lowel is pretty good about keeping spare parts in stock."

Because they have to.

Ooooo!... that was just for Suszko.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:58:52 pm

Cute.

Look Lowel makes very functional and affordable lighting gear.

The issues I have with Lowel stuff are simple.

First, they typically trade light weight for durability. Not that some of their products aren't durable - have a bucket of Totas I use for filling broad location spaces - it's, just that if you hold something like an Arri or Mole open face light in one hand - and a Pro or Omni in the other - you'll see that they are different beasts in construction style. The heavy stuff is designed to last a career - or two! Little things like cord connection points and heat dissapation ridges are designed for heavy, continuous use and abuse.

One example is that I don't think I've ever had to take apart and fix the cable for a single one of my Arri kit lights in 20 years. But there isn't a single one of my Lowel units that I haven't had to mess with the cord connections time and time again. The switches and rubber retaining collars regularly deform and pull out with regular use stress. It's not a disaster, just an annoyance.

The second thing is that in trading for light weight, Lowel units that use traditional tungsten lamps tend to get wicked hot. I've burned myself more trying to adjust another videographers Lowel gear than I ever have in 20 years of using my own lighting gear.

Omni and Pro lights in use I've kinda come to treat like open flames. I don't even TRY to touch them without gaffers gloves.

But that doesn't mean they're bad lights at all. In the hands of someone who knows how to use them, they can create really nice lighting because they ARE designed with video needs in mind.

Golf carts and trucks are BOTH very useful pieces of equipment. But one is not the other.

My 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 30, 2013 at 4:06:43 pm

[Todd Terry] "[Bob Cole] "Lowel is pretty good about keeping spare parts in stock."

Because they have to."

Yeah, that snideness was intentional. But at the same time, a genuine appreciation. I've needed spare parts for items from several suppliers, and Lowel's procedure compares well with those of the more prestigious names.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]