FORUMS: list search recent posts

green lamps for chroma key lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
green lamps for chroma key lighting
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:45:03 am

I am curious as to why Kino Flo sells green tubes for lighting chroma key screens. Good idea, bad, or neutral?

I have never used them, but I would think they are a bad idea and wonder what they are good for. They seem unnecessary at best.

What am I missing?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: green lamps for chroma key lighting
on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:03:25 am

You aren't missing anything, Bob.

They're a particular tool to solve particular probems.

With green screen lit traditionally, there might be issues on the keying surface or an inability to generate an even enough light taking field. If so, using green tubes can sometimes solve the issues since you're generating specific color photons that can "wrap" around imperfections.

OTOH, if you have limited keying area or nasty geometry - then active green light can be a nightmare, spilling onto the set and causing all sorts of stuff to key poorly.

I've used them successfully, but mostly when there's a lot of control available and I'm doing greenscreen with ample subject-to-back-wall distance.

Just an alternate tool.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]