FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small production lights - HMI 575's or equivalent? Pls assist with advice

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan da Canha
Small production lights - HMI 575's or equivalent? Pls assist with advice
on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:07:36 pm

Hi, Pls help me make a decision on what lights to buy...

I produce ads. Mostly small productions taking place in a local home. I used to hire 2 x Arri 575's for these productions - the company has since closed their local office and the best I can get my hands on in my area are Keeno Flows. I also use 3 x LED banks.

Im looking to purchase some 575's for my company - I don't want to pay the hefty price tag of a new set of ARRI 575's and have seen similar lights advertised from China for a fraction of the cost. Obviously not the same quality or backup service etc. but if they put out similar light i would consider giving them a try.

Can anyone advise me - do these Chinese options put out similar light to something like the Arri's or other quality lights? The specifics I am looking at are here:

http://www.camera-video-broadcast.com/products/HMI-Fresnel-Light-575W-Elect...

They assure me the lights are flicker free and have them with 220volts

I am looking for something that I can be sure will put out as much light as the Arris im used to hiring. Any other options that come in at a lower price then the Arris may also be a good solution?

Thanks for your help and advise

Jono

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Small production lights - HMI 575's or equivalent? Pls assist with advice
on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:08:23 pm

[Jonathan da Canha] "do these Chinese options put out similar light to something like the Arri's"

Well yeah, technically they put out exactly the same light, as you'd be using the same Osram globes in them as in your Arris. Ergo, the light itself is the same.

The Chinese clones do work... it's mostly just the build quality of the heads that is not quite as good. But if you take care of them, they do work.

I've also seen one or two Chinese ballasts that had really loud fans in them. But then again, I have a Chinese ballast next door in our studio right now that is as quiet as a mouse. Actually it's probably the quietest ballast I've ever used, it's totally silent.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan da Canha
Re: Small production lights - HMI 575's or equivalent? Pls assist with advice
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:23:32 am

Hi Todd,

Thanks very much for the reply. What brand is the ballast you refer to?

Thanks

Jono

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]