FORUMS: list search recent posts

Foot candle for infinite white cyc

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
Foot candle for infinite white cyc
on Mar 6, 2013 at 3:57:41 pm

I am experimenting with a cyc wall painted white to achive the apple infinite white that is really popular now. But I'm trying to fiugre what the right foot candle or at least a ratio for lighting the white vs the subject.

I am shooting on a camera with a native ISO of 800
I have access to light the wall (16'x10') with various soft light instruments Kinoflow Arri 2k softs lots of 1ks with silks etc.

I can get a farily even wash on the wall, with in 1-3 foot candles, but i would really like to know if there is a secret sauce Foot candle that you gurus try and achive when working with the white cyc.

Thank you for your help.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Foot candle for infinite white cyc
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:12:11 pm

HI Mike,

Just did this yesterday for a series of PSA's for the next Stand Up 2 Cancer Telethon.

The SOP is light the white to 80 IRE on your waveform wuth as straight a line across the scope as possible (you'll see some slight vignetting if your lens is wide open) and put the daces at the normal 60-65%. Volia!

JS

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Foot candle for infinite white cyc
on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:52:23 pm

Just as an aside, one of the things that makes this a whole lot easier is the trend for quality LCD small monitor manufacturers to build in "false color" algorithms.

I haven't used a scope for setting a key or solid background light field since I bought one of the Marshall monitors with that feature a few years back.

Much simpler than a scope, particularly since you can put a long cable on the small monitor and keep it with you while you're adjusting the lighting!

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]