FORUMS: list search recent posts

Designing and lighting a home editing suite room

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Myron Hobizal
Designing and lighting a home editing suite room
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:08:56 pm

I am converting one of my rooms into a dedicated editing and colorist suite. I am looking to install overhead recessed or track lighting to illuminate my editing desk. What kind of lights are recommended? Are there any guides that can help with designing a room for editing/colorists?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Designing and lighting a home editing suite room
on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:28:36 pm

This has come up a time or two in the editing forum; you might also want to search there.

As a general rule I would say you want as neutral an environment as practical, so it won't have an influence on your color perception. There is some controversy regarding back-lighting the wall behind the monitors: some prefer it, others like it black. I think even more important than the lighting is that the monitors be of high quality and properly calibrated, because you'll eventually get used to any kind of ambient lighting, and the viewers watch under all kinds of ambient lighting situations and monitor/TV settings as well.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Designing and lighting a home editing suite room
on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:44:15 pm

Our suites are the typical "dark caves" with lots of moody lighting... dim track lighting, uplights behind panels, hidden LEDs that wallwash, pin spots on artwork, that kinda thing. Seems these days a lot of people are leaning toward more bright and warm environments, but to me this is the way an edit suite is supposed to look and it's what I'm comfortable in.

The desks themselves are illuminated (albeit fairly dim) from LED sources that are under the shelves above them. They are just off the shelf under-counter lights from the hardware store.

And yes, Mark's right, you'll likely want the area behind the monitors painted a neutral gray... and it should be PERFECTLY NEUTRAL, just a mixture of pure black and white, no color tones in it at all. This should be illuminated with lighting (again, ours is pretty dim) that matches the color temperature of your monitor. If you have standard (and fairly cold) computer monitors, you'll probably want flos or daylight LEDs there. If you use a wamer monitor, you'll want lower-temperature lighting back there... tungsten or whatever. Your brain needs that neutral same-color-temp background in order for your eyes to do proper color grading.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]