FORUMS: list search recent posts

Back knob on LTM Pepper 200 - what is it?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Marshall
Back knob on LTM Pepper 200 - what is it?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:22:04 am

I have an old LTM Pepper 200 I may repurpose with some LEDs as a sort of experiment since I don't use the light.

I have always been baffled by a knob on the back that only spins a solid-flat metal disk just on the other side of the assembly (against the rear where the vent is). The disk is attached to nothing else and only spins forever as long as you spin the knob. I have no idea what this is for and I've finally decided to ask. Anyone know?

As far as me possibly destroying this light in my experiment, would anyone say I shouldn't because they really like this light? My only other peppers would be Arri 300's. I wanted to toy around with building an LED assembly.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Back knob on LTM Pepper 200 - what is it?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:31:34 am

Well that's weird.

The only knob on the back of current LTM Pepper 200w fresnels is the focus control knob (it drives a worm gear that slides the globe/reflector forward and backward inside the housing). You said that this was an old LTM Pepper. Maybe they had a different design years ago with some other feature (although they would be fairly old, all of my Peppers are at least 15 years old, and the same design that they use today).

At any rate, I certainly wouldn't destroy it. I love the Peppers. Besides that, a new Pepper 200 is a couple of hundred dollars, and you probably don't need that much of a rugged or heavy instrument as the cast-metal Pepper heads for an LED project. You can pick up a used fresnel on eBay in just about any size you'd like for next to nothing.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Seth Marshall
on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:24:14 pm

Thank you Todd, I appreciate the reply.

Here are pictures of what I am talking about in my pepper light. I too have a focus knob that controls the worm gear but it's lower. This knob is directly in the center where the vent is. Take a look:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/notastepizzaface/photo2.jpg
And here is the inside showing the metal disk:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/notastepizzaface/photo1.jpg

My only guess is the disk prevents light from escaping the back while still allowing air the circulate yet I have no idea why they made it able to rotate.

I appreciate you convincing me not to destroy it, I think you're right. And you were right I wanted the fresnel. eBay would be a great place to get one, although I'd have to come up with a housing and slide for the light so I can flood or spot it,

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:31:34 pm

Well I've certainly NEVER seen that before, either on a Pepper or any other brand of similar instrument.

If it had holes or slots in it, it might make sense... so you could turn it to one position for maximum light blocking, and another position for maximum cooling... but it being solid is a puzzler. I have no idea.

You should be able to find a complete fresnel (housing, lens, movable sled inside that slides the globe/refector) complete and already put together on eBay cheaply. I've bought a number of them through the years to make small HMIs, and they were always plentiful and never very expensive. I will say though that many people have tried without a lot of success in making an LED instrument that is a "real" fresnel, focusable and all.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Seth Marshall
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:42:54 pm

Thanks again for your replies. If you've never seen this disc I can't imagine who has, I will let it stop bugging me.

I'm sure my project idea has been tried many times before. But being the compulsive tinkerer I may have to take a stab at it! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:59:42 pm

This is the special knob you make a big deal about adjusting when the client starts telling you the light isn't quite right but you know it is perfect as-is. One or two turns while asking: "Is that better?" and you're all set :-)

It's the LD's version of an editor's "zero-frame trim".

Return to posts index

Tom Prigge
on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:41:46 pm

Mark's reply inspires me to tell this war story. Early 1980s, I'm a DJ at a radio station and have to cut 6 high energy spots. There's too much copy on each one and the client wants to cut nothing. Take after take after take on each one until I get all 6 in time and sounding right. Oh, and the client wanted reverb, which back then was controlled by potting up the reel to reel machine. Or maybe it was potting up the cart machine when transfering. I can't remember. Anyway, I get all 6 spots carted and call the client. We had things rigged so you could play the cart down the phone line. Client says they sound great, but he wants more reverb. Of course, there's so much reverb on them that you can barely make out what I'm even saying. I say okay, I wait one hour, then call him back and play the exact same spots to him. Yeah, that's what I want he says.

And people wonder why I went prematurely gray.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 15, 2013 at 3:31:47 pm

Ha... I think a lot of clients are like that, Tom...

A zillion years ago when I worked in broadcast TV producing promos, the GM of the station would ALWAY find at least one little thing he wanted to change in everything we did. So we would purposely build an obviously-needed change into every spot. Invariably he would pick that item to mention ("I think that logo would look better on screen left..."), and thus my "real" director's cut was always the final.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Feb 16, 2013 at 1:44:54 am

[Todd Terry] "A zillion years ago when I worked in broadcast TV producing promos, the GM of the station would ALWAY find at least one little thing he wanted to change in everything we did. So we would purposely build an obviously-needed change into every spot. Invariably he would pick that item to mention ("I think that logo would look better on screen left..."), and thus my "real" director's cut was always the final."

Yep, we used to do the same thing.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Feb 20, 2013 at 8:37:59 pm

Yes, I have a 200W Pepper like the one you describe. The knob holds a round disk which covers the vent... probably could remove if you want to dissipate any heat buildup.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]