FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting for Two Camera Angles Interview

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan Dye
Lighting for Two Camera Angles Interview
on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:41:34 pm

Hello!
In the relatively near future I will be shooting some interviews that will later be chroma keyed out. The client would like a 2 camera set up; 1 camera facing the standard front of the talent and the other at a nearly profile angle to the talent.

What would you recommend in ways of lighting to interfere the least between shots? As we are renting lights and the talent will only be available at X times I don't have much room to play around with the lights and camera angles to figure out what works. And unfortunately I'm a real novice at this.

Here is a very quick diagram of what I was thinking may work for lighting. Could I maybe get a critique on it and where you see potential problems coming up?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Lighting for Two Camera Angles Interview
on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:30:57 am

What's lighting the green screen and how far away from the screen is the talent?
What is the size of the space you're dealing with?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 3, 2013 at 8:37:26 pm

Depending on the program and what your needs are, you might be able to shoot this in a cheaper way with just one green wall and a rotating stool. Shoot once with one camera only and then rotate the talent and shoot again with the same camera, just tweaking the key and fill a little, if necessary. Once in the greenscreen environment, who's going to know it wasn't a 2-camera shoot, if you can edit it correctly?

This worked for all the "Spy Kids" movies as well as "Sky Captain". You can get the same effect in greenscreen by moving either the camera or the talent in rotation, since there's no real reference point.

Saves:
extra camera and grip costs and time
Extra green screen and lighting for it
Room for the larger setup

Extra expense: longer time doing the interview because you do it twice. If the talent is in fact pro talent, this will go quick. With a civilian being interviewed, it will take longer and not be as consistent between takes, the director/interviewer has to work harder to control that.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 3, 2013 at 8:54:22 pm

I will add, from the POV of an editor, I would find it MUCH more useful to co-locate the A and B cameras in the same spot and have one locked-off wide and the other working the CU and Medium shots, versus the side-on shot you have in your diagram for the B camera.

In HD shoots, especially those that end up as SD, you can cheat in post and add virtual zooms by scaling up the image, but you can only do that *so far* before you lose rez, so, having a real wide covering shot and real closeups to cut between from, both from the same angle, for me, is more valuable.

That's the setup I favor when I have a "talent" on set or location that may only be available one short time and/or may not be able to perfectly repeat a statement/performance with consistency.

I also have an incendiary hatred for the use of the side-angle cutaways, where they are unmotivated by what the person is saying, just putting that out there. I want the guy that started that trope flogged.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jan 6, 2013 at 2:21:21 am

I wasnt the one to invent the side on.. originally Z1 and now 5/7D side shot.. but it was started many many years ago ..

15 years ago or more ! it was seen as original.. edgy.. quirky ..rock and roll.. and to ever did it first, fair dues.. it was new.. and for many interviews worked ok.. but really its been done to death..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]