FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nose Shadow? 3-point lighting troubles

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Kozlenko
Nose Shadow? 3-point lighting troubles
on Dec 21, 2012 at 1:03:53 am

I am trying to do 3 point lighting for my high school news show, I am able to get the talent's face completely illuminated, however, I keep getting a small shadow from the talent's nose. It is a light shadow on both sides of the subject's nostril, sometimes only one side, that I can't seem to get rid of. The fill and key lights are both at 45 degree angles to the subject, and they are the same height and are on the same grid. I really need help reducing or removing the nose shadow. I want it to look like the lighting on any real news broadcast, where there is barely a shadow. Please help?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Nose Shadow? 3-point lighting troubles
on Dec 21, 2012 at 1:07:09 am

Shaddowless lighting requires large soft sources usually 4K Zip Softs, but you can recreate the effect with 4x4' Frames with white diffussion.

JS

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 21, 2012 at 7:26:30 pm

We call that shadow the karet, and you want to make it appear inside the smile creases area. it's not a "mistake" to see one, as long as it's not too distracting or in the wrong place or doubled, as in your case. It's doubled because your key and fill are equal, and generally the key is defined as the key because it's the brighter of the two.

A softbox key or fill will give you the flat lighting that hides the karet, or bouncing a light off a white reflector board onto the subject will also work on a student budget.

The more head-on the light, the less obvious the karet, as well. But you can't ask the talent to stare past a blinding light into the lens for a long time and make it look easy.

Check this:

http://www.lowel.com/edu/components_interview2.html

Might help visualize.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 21, 2012 at 10:14:40 pm

Page three on that site is your exact problem, with illustrations.

http://www.lowel.com/edu/components_interview3.html

The entire website is packed with great tips and refresehes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]