FORUMS: list search recent posts

AbelCine Lighting Expo recorded Livestream

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
AbelCine Lighting Expo recorded Livestream
on Dec 16, 2012 at 5:13:44 pm

http://new.livestream.com/abelcine/LightingExpo/videos/7965018

On Sunday December 15, AbelCine held a Lighting Expo on LED lighting (with one Plasma light). They streamed the entire event which included three 90 minute presentations. The video is 5 1/2 hours long. There's as much as 30 minute pad of just slate between each (giving people time to visit the vendors). I thought people might want to view the recorded livestream. I was there in person. It was very informative.

Lights shown are from Arri, Hive, Nila, Lowel, PRG, Zylight, Litepanels

The three presentations were:
Beyond The Bulb: New Lighting Technology
DP Lecture, David Mullen, ASC
Lighting Comparisons Workshop

The short takeaways for me were:
LED CRI in specs is only a average and the lights my have more severe deficiencies in parts of the spectrum. Most notable was one light in which the blond subject had green hair and magenta skin. These are very very subtle but was obvious on the calibrated monitor we were looking at, being shot from an Arri Alexa.

If you have a color critical eye, it can be a challenge to match LEDs given the variety of CRI in different parts of the spectrum. Companies seem to measure specs differently so such specs aren't the most accurate comparisons even when considering brightness and beam angle.

David Mullen still uses mostly tungsten lights although he said that's in part due to the fact that they aren't being billed for electrical use. He does use LEDs for certain things given their portability.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]