FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting use of SpaceLights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Interesting use of SpaceLights
on Dec 8, 2012 at 5:46:29 am

I'm watching Letterman right now, and had to mention this...

David had the boyband group "One Direction" on as his second guests, and then after the interview segment they performed over on the main stage.

Their background at first glance appeared to be a dozen or so sort of illuminated flowerish shapes in deep background, out of focus and dimly glowing. I wasn't paying too much attention because, well, I'm not a teenage girl.

After I started giving the scene a bit of a closer look, it was evident that these were just SpaceLights... stripped of their scrims and cages and suspended sideways (just the bare fixture part of a SpaceLight). And dimmed waaaay down so they had just a nice yellow tungsten glow. You could clearly see the cluster of six reflectors and bulbs in each one.

I thought this was pretty innovative both as a set piece and a lighting element.

The full show should be posted on the CBS website tomorrow, I'm guessing, should anyone want to give it a look.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Interesting use of SpaceLights
on Dec 11, 2012 at 7:49:24 pm

Always interested in lighting ideas - so I tried to watch this.

Unfortunately, the "putting TV on the internet makes the content gods angry" thing ensued.

Opened the "full broadcast" watched 2 commercials to get to any initial content.
Estimated where the performance might be so clicked down the timeline - only to have to wait about 6 full minutes through all the aggregated unskippable commercials - and land on Dustin Hoffmans interview - which was enjoyable. Then three MORE commercials - then The band's interview then MORE commercials - and when I finally got to where the performance actually would start - got kicked back to the start screen - (I'm assuming they didn't have the full rights to store and re-broadcast the actual band's performance.)
12-15 minutes of commercials and a snippit of content to NOT get to see what I came to watch.

Interesting contrast from recently reading that Gangnam Style PSY (irrespective of how you feel about the current controversy) has raked in 8 Million buck plus - by specifically NOT choosing to press any copyright issues with all the viewers, aggregators, covers, you-tube mashups, etc, etc.

One approach obvioiusly believing the value of viral exposure and fan accessibility trumps trying to squeeze "value per view" via scarcity.

Welcome to the world of media in 2012!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 11, 2012 at 8:01:36 pm

Yikes... sorry for the trouble, Bill... but yes Hoffman was amusing, as usual.

Here are some screengrabs showing the SpaceLights in use as set pieces....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:54:18 pm

Thread-jacking here to point out a killer jazz lounge cover of Gangnam that is really good:

He got more views than Bieber by not fighting the tide and he seems to be doing well for it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 15, 2012 at 8:25:30 pm

PSY meets Sergio Mendez! Very cool.

Also delightful that the girl literally couldn't resist just that HINT of the "pony wrist" move at about 2:40. Loved that.

Brazil - meet Korea - while we all remind ourselves that music IS truly the universal language.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]