FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making fluorecent lights flicker

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Shand
Making fluorecent lights flicker
on Dec 2, 2012 at 4:26:46 pm

Hi All, how could you make fluorecent lights Flickr on purpose. We want to create a sense of danger. Turning them off and on doesn't make them flicker quick enough. Any info would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Making fluorecent lights flicker
on Dec 2, 2012 at 4:45:49 pm

John,

Although the flicker might be too rhythmic for your taste, you could adjust the shutter to introduce flicker; perhaps if your camera has the capability to dynamically adjust the shutter speed while rolling you could make a creative effect.

JS

Return to posts index

John Shand
on Dec 2, 2012 at 11:45:14 pm

Thanks for you reply John, yes it would have to be more realistic, like when a flo light is faulty.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 4, 2012 at 8:32:56 pm

I keep a set of nearly-dead tubes for this, that's REALISM!.

You can also derange a perfectly good flo light by introducing a magnet along the length of the tube. An electromagnet with variable power gives you more control over the effect. This is a case of trial and error experimentation.

Return to posts index

John Shand
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:25:16 pm

Perfect! The electro magnet is the one. But from now often I'm going to start collecting old flo lights. I wonder what offices do with them, hopefully they don't get thrown away.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:26:16 pm

Sometimes its the ballast and not the tube that dies, and there are pro setups for monkeying with the ballast.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Dec 7, 2012 at 6:35:54 am

You could also introduce a dimmer into the mix. Dimming down non-dimmable fluorscent tubes will often cause them to flicker erratically.
Another alternative is to use the new LED source "fluroescent" fixture tubes. They might offer more of a controllable effect.

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]