FORUMS: list search recent posts

F&V R300 - Anyone actually tried this yet? Or one like it?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
F&V R300 - Anyone actually tried this yet? Or one like it?
on Nov 18, 2012 at 5:49:46 pm

So just stumbled on this little ring light.
http://www.fvlighting.com/store/lighting/led/r300.html?acc=c81e728d9d4c2f63...

They seem to have hit the right features, with stand mount or rail mount, dimmer and standard Sony battery capable. They make the very big claim of being able to put out as much light as a Lightpanel 1x1. Anyone actually got their hands on one of these? Since I'm shooting more interviews now with my 5DMiii I'm moving in closer and dropping out the background, and have had a bit of luck with my Flo Light Micro. This ring light idea might be great, especially for older women, who are way more sensitive about seeing the lines on their faces than us guys.

Again, it's one of those, 'too good to be true' situations on it's price. Price almost works against buying it. But my Flo Light has been a nice small thing to carry that has helped in a few pinches where I needed something battery operated and small.

This is a still from a recent interview using my Microbeam flo light. Used flourescent from the room, punched up the lighting in her face with the microbeam held above and to the right. Seems to have worked. They liked it. It seems as good as any shot with umbrella lighting that I have done in the past. But a ring light may have softened her face even more.

Al

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: F&V R300 - Anyone actually tried this yet? Or one like it?
on Nov 20, 2012 at 11:15:24 pm

I saw some of their stuff at PhotoPlus Expo a few weeks back.

I noticed other companies with extremely low prices and reasonable build quality.
It's impossible to know how accurate spec sheets are and sometimes the quality of the light is best judged in action.

It does seem that the Chinese LED manufacturers are working with lower cost lighting companies.

I suspect this is why Litepanels is concerned.

Dracast has LED fresenels much like Litepanels for example.
http://dracast.com/lights/led-lights.html?dir=asc&order=price

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]