Create a full reflection over glasses?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy freeds
Create a full reflection over glasses?
on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:20:19 am

The end result I need to create:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScaryShinyGlasses

The glared out glasses you see in a lot of animes.

I am running lighting for a film shoot and the director wants a pretty dramatic interview scene. The interviewer's face is not going to be revealed until the end of the film and until then, his glasses will be completely covered in white reflection.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this? I cant just point big lights at him, you will most likely be able to see the edge of the lights.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Create a full reflection over glasses?
on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:21:27 am

A couple of different ways to do this come to mind.

1) Just do it practically. Remember that the glasses shouldn't be reflecting direct light, but rather reflecting a lighted object... in this case a large white flat surface. Look at beauty or hero shots of automobiles in advertising... the key there is not the lighting on the cars themselves, but the lighting on the objects being reflected in the cars... usually big white silks and drops, etc. So, you'd want to position and light a white surface (something as simple as a white 4x4 would work) so that it reflects in the glasses. Now, most glasses being convex, you run into the same problem that you have with automobile windshields... they show a whole lot more in the room. I'd take the prop glasses frames to an optometrist or eyeglasses place and see if they can replace the lenses with ones that are as flat as possible... preferably perfectly flat. That will dramatically cut down on the size of the white surface that you have to reflect. One challenge with this setup is the rest of the lighting.... your large white surface will also become a big soft key light... and might light your talent more than you would like. It would be challenging to flag off the excess light from the talent without the flags and cutters and such being reflected in the glasses, so it'd take a fair bit of work. Again, flat glass would help.

2) Paint the glasses white. Just paint the glass only off the eyeglasses (probably from the inside so you still get a bit of reflection off the glass), and hit your talent with that very 1940s stripe of light right across the peepers.

3) Paint the glasses green. Same as above, but paint the lenses green so you can key them out and turn them white. This is probably the most versitile method, as you can replace the lenses with another almost white but still reflected surface, track some refections, maybe give them a bit of glow, etc. You'd still need to make sure they were well illuminated for the key though, the same "stripe of light" as in #2 above. I think this is probably the way this exact same eyeglasses effect was accomplished in "Sin City."

There are probably a few other ways to do this as well, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 6, 2012 at 10:12:34 pm

Green here is a problem if you are going to have the head tilt up to reveal eyes. That means you'll have to composite the eyes back in, that's hard work. You might get around that with a flash cut to the reveal with non-green lenses. Same with white lenses.

White curved piece of card, and use math: angle of incidence = angle of reflection.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 6, 2012 at 11:16:59 pm

Doing it practically with a big curved surface to reflect would give the most natural looking glasses... but again, that big surface would become a key light on your talent and might make it difficult to keep the rest of his face in the dark.

Elijah Wood's glasses in "Sin City" were definitely done with greenscreen lenses (as was virtually everything else in the movie, too)...

Sometimes they had reflections, but most of the time they were blown-out white. Occasionally you could see his eyes in some shots, but they were always completely different and separate shots, obviously using a different pair of clear glasses.

I remember thinking when I saw that that it would be possibly cool/helpful to have little LEDs or something built in to back-illuminate the glasses so you wouldn't have to worry about lighting them, or spoiling the rest of the lighting plot on Elijah's face.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 7, 2012 at 12:29:01 am

You could always just roto them, I suppose.

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Nov 7, 2012 at 4:43:06 pm

I agree that flat glasses would make the reflection easier with a smaller source. Would also replacing the lenses with mirrors allow for the use of a lower light level so that the face stays well under lit while getting the white reflection you seek...all done practically?

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Dec 5, 2012 at 8:26:30 am

If its a "front on" shot it would be pretty hard to do with lighting only.. its a big soft light that will light the face for sure..

I would shoot the face just off totally side on.. just be able to see both lenses of the spec,s.. your light will be way off to give the refection angle needed .. and not light the face which is towards camera..

To reveal,, nicest would be just dolly round the front of the face and it will reveal naturally.. or have the subject turn toward s the camera and then fade up a light to camera right..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]