FORUMS: list search recent posts

Latest thoughts on Flolight 1024s with Battery

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Latest thoughts on Flolight 1024s with Battery
on Oct 30, 2012 at 11:46:42 pm

I'm pondering adding one panel of LED to my field shooting ability (I have some great portable but AC based lights already), and wondering what folks are thinking about the larger Flolights. I have a microbeam, and it's been pretty reliable, so I'm tempted, but I know that LightPanels seem to be a lot of people's first choice. Anyone out there using the 1024 or have used it and have thoughts?

I'm too far from a major city to rent. Just need something that has a battery like A/B or whatever to drive the thing in field interviews. I'm fed up with faces with too dark a shadow on them, and the microbeam is just not powerful enough in bright sun.

thanks in advance.

Al

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Latest thoughts on Flolight 1024s with Battery
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:15:07 am

[Al Bergstein] " ...the microbeam is just not powerful enough in bright sun. "

Unfortunately that Flolight (or any other 1000-bulb LED panel) won't be nearly enough in bright sun, either. I've always found in those circumstances I've needed at least a 1200W HMI to have any impact in bright sunlight, and even then using silks to knock down harsh shadows first. And that's an instrument with at least six times the output of a 1000 LED.

In bright sunlight just a 4x4 white bounce card will give you a lot more kick and fill in shadows better than any LED instrument that size.

Now, you might find them useful for exterior use on very cloudy/gray days... enough to give a bit of punch to faces, although you still might have to position them fairly close to the talent.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:05:01 am

Sigh, I think you might be right. Well, we have a lot of overcast days up here in Washington State, and I often haul 'the talent' off behind a building to shoot in shadow rather than in direct sun, so maybe they will be bright enough. I assume I should go for a Spot then rather than flood for that kind of use. I've got a reflector that I try to use, but I think I'll go buy a larger one.

On the other hand, I was wondering about the build quality of those larger Flo Lights.

Thanks for you input Todd.

Al

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:48:18 am

[Al Bergstein] " I've got a reflector that I try to use, but I think I'll go buy a larger one. "

Well, we've got lots of of the pop-up type reflectors in various sizes, but I have to admit I almost never use them. As I mentioned in the last post, for me the go-to reflector of choice is a piece of white 4x4 foamcore. Nothing seems to work better, you get a really beautiful quality of reflected light, and they are dirt cheap. Buy them for a few bucks at a grip or art supply store... use 'em until they are too beat up, then toss them and get another one.

If a 4x4 is too big and bulky to haul around (and if you're not in a grip truck, they are), you can try what we do: take the 4x4 and score it down the middle, so it will fold in flat into a 2x4. Run a piece of gaffer tape straight down the seam to reinforce it. When you pop it open, put the "hinge" right in your Quaker (duckbill) clamp to attach it to a C-stand or whatever, and the clamp keeps it open and flat.

Also, if you buy the foamcore that's white on one side and black on the other, you have the dark side for an instantly-handy negative fill when you need it without carrying another piece of equipment.

Wow... did that ever get off track from the original question. Sorry!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 31, 2012 at 12:52:47 pm

Thanks. While slightly OT, it's a good reminder about the 4x4 foamcore. Since I'm not close to a normal lighting store for film & photog, I don't often see what they might have as options. Heck, where I live I don't think the office supply store has a 4x4 piece of foam core!

I do have one of the foldable pop up reflectors, but like you, I rarely use it. And while I often have my van along with about a thousand things I never end up using, I find I often am shooting a quick and dirty interview a long way from the van. I usually lug in a stand for the reflector in advance. (or have the grip do that).

Al

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:57:02 pm

Your other option outside is to pack a silk and a lightweight frame to cut down on the existing overhead sun instead of trying to overpower it with a light. I'm not meaning to be a salesman for Digital Juice here, but they offer a pop-up version of a silk diffuser that deploys like the familiar wire-bound pop-up reflectors. There's another brand that sells a triangular style of reflectors and diffusion, with a solid grab handle at the short end of the triangle. This is something more likely for a lone shooter to be able to use by himself in run and gun situations.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 31, 2012 at 3:00:12 pm

Thanks, great thought. I've never seen one of those deployed before, so I'll see what's out there. Might work.

Al

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:47:34 pm

[Al Bergstein] "Heck, where I live I don't think the office supply store has a 4x4 piece of foam core! "

Not sure how big a town you're in, but Art Supply stores almost always stock foam core.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:37:03 pm

[Bill Davis] "Not sure how big a town you're in, but Art Supply stores almost always stock foam core."

Sometimes a 4x4 can be a little hard to find if you're just looking at the "chain" art supply stores, i.e. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. They usually have smaller/thinner, but not quite 4x4.

You'll probably need to go to a real art supply store, as opposed to a hobby or "craft" store. Here in my town there's a mom and pop art/drafting supply store where we get it. We actually buy 4x8' sheets (white on one side, black on the other), then cut it in half to make 4x4s... and then as I described above we then slit each 4x4 so they can be folded for easier travel in smaller vehicles.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:28:37 pm

[Todd Terry] "We actually buy 4x8' sheets (white on one side, black on the other), then cut it in half to make 4x4s... and then as I described above we then slit each 4x4 so they can be folded for easier travel in smaller vehicles."

Since we're in the realm of "foam core tricks" - I do the same thing that Todd does - but one "sub trick" I found wasreally useful back in the days before airline baggage fees got out of hand was to cut black/white foam core exactly the length and twice the width of our Pelican 1650 travel cases. Then we'd "score fold tape" those exactly as Todd described, and use extremely small bungee cords at the corners to fill the space in the lids of our 1650s with one or two folded foam core sheets.

Always out of the way - and yet always at hand the moment we needed some quick bounce or block.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]